~17~

Edited

|Present|

From: Megan Adams

To: Scarlett Hudson

Hey Scar,

Hope you're doing okay.

Tomorrow's my birthday and mom and Hunter are throwing this huge party for me (it's supposed to be a surprise but you know how sneaky I can be)

This is my first birthday in ten years without you and honestly I wish with all my heart that you were here with us.

But I guess I've finally started to accept that you're gone. I understand that things got too painful for you and that you needed to get away. A small part of me is glad that you left Scarlett because this place hurt you too much, there was nothing left for you here. I hope you're happy now.

Hunter has started to get back to his own self a little, at least he's talking to us now. You leaving really took a toll on him but I guess he's starting to accept it too.

Danielle, Hunter and Bruce are sitting across from me right now and they're all watching 'One Tree Hill' and laughing at something Mouth said.

It's been more than a year since you left and today for the first time I feel happy.

I feel hopeful.

~~~

I finished reading the email. I felt like my whole body was numb. I closed my laptop and sighed.

What happened to you Megan?

There was no getting rid of the heaviness in my chest.

There was a soft knock on the door. My eyebrows drew together in confusion. My father wasn't supposed to be home for another hour. I hesitantly got up from my bed and opened the door. My eyes popped open in surprise when I saw Jace standing outside my bedroom door.

"Jace? What are you doing here?" I asked in bewilderment.

His eyes focused on my lips to read them. He gave me a lopsided smile, flashing me with his dimples. I was momentarily awestruck by how good-looking he was.

"The housekeeper let me in." He responded with a shrug, not quite answering my question.

I stepped aside so he could enter the room.

He slowly looked around, taking in his surroundings. Finally his eyes settled on me.

"Your room's still the same." He murmured.

I smiled and nodded because I couldn't think of anything to say.

"So what were you doing?" He asked casually.

"Nothing just studying." I lied.

For some reason I didn't want to tell him about Megan's emails, they were just too personal.

He nodded distractedly.

"I want to take you somewhere." He said suddenly.

"Now?" I asked in surprise.

"Do you trust me, Bambi?" He asked seriously.

"Yes, I do." I said truthfully.

He smiled. "Then come on. Let's go."

~~~

I stepped out of Jace's car uncertainly. We were in a deserted part of town. From a distance I could make out a crowd of people gathered.

"What are we doing here?" I asked uneasily.

He gave me a comforting smile.

"Relax. You'll find out soon enough." He murmured as he pulled me along with him towards the group of people.

As we neared the area, I noticed how huge the crowd actually was.

Now I was more confused than ever.

What the hell is this place?

Someone tapped on my shoulder and I turned to find a scrawny guy around my age grinning down at me.

"So, are you gonna bet on someone?" His grin widened.

I gave him a bewildered look. "Why would I bet on anyone?"

He looked at me like I was insane.

"Why'd you come to a street race if you don't want to bet?"

My eyes widened in shock and my head snapped in Jace's direction accusingly.

"You bought me to an illegal street race?" I snapped at him.

He sighed. "Don't get mad Bambi. I swear I had a good reason."

"And what's that?" I demanded, my voice still laced with anger.

But before he could answer someone interrupted us.

"Scarlett?"

I froze.

That voice.

Hunter!

He was wearing a leather jacket. His hair was messy.

Damn it! Why does he have to be so beautiful!

What is he even doing here?

His eyes narrowed at Jace who still had his arm around me. But he quickly masked his cold expression with a neutral one.

My eyes finally trained on the motorcycle helmet clutched in his hands. My brain was already putting all the pieces together.

He's racing!

"Adams." Another cold voice cut in.

Ryder's towering frame suddenly came into view, I noticed that this time he had two friends accompanying him.

A look of understanding passed between Jace and Hunter and I was suddenly pushed behind Jace's back. Hunter stiffened in front of us.

"Ryder." Hunter spoke curtly.

"Hope you're prepared to lose." Ryder sneered.

Hunter chuckled coldly. "We'll see about that."

"You're messing with the wrong people here Adams."

Hunter shrugged. "It's a hobby.''

Ryder and his guard-dogs finally walked away and I finally let out the breath I'd been holding.

Hunter turned to look at Jace warily. "You shouldn't have brought her here." He muttered.

"She needs to know how different things are now. Unlike you, I don't want to keep her in the dark." Jace snapped.

But Hunter's wasn't paying attention to Jace anymore. His gaze was trained on me. His hand suddenly wrapped around my wrist and he tugged me towards him.

He bent down until his breath fanned against my ear.

I shuddered involuntarily.

For some twisted reason I feel drawn to him.

It was like a moth being drawn to  flame .  The knowledge of imminent destruction cloaked by irresistible attraction.

"I'm going to win this race tonight." Hunter whispered huskily in my ear. "And when I do, you know what my prize is going to be?"

He pulled back so he was looking directly into my eyes.

His grey eyes dark. Dangerous.

"You." He murmured, his eyes still locked on mine.

~~~~~~~~~~