~29~

Edited

"Most people are stronger than they know. They just forget to believe in it sometimes."
― One Tree Hill

|3 years Ago|

I looked around in awe. The school gym had been completely transformed.

Disco-lights, balloons, music.

"I can't believe we're actually at the sophomore dance!" Danielle squealed. "I'm so glad Jace asked you! We're the only freshmen who got asked!"

"Not the only ones." I muttered as my gaze wandered to where Nichole was standing clinging to Hunter's arm. My eyes moved to Hunter and my breath hitched when I found him looking at me.

I felt Danielle nudge me with her elbow, forcing me to tear my eyes away from Hunter's intense ones. "So you and Jace, huh?"

I could feel myself blush. "There's nothing going on between us." I said quickly. "I think the only reason he asked me was because he felt sorry for me."

Danielle looked at me intently. "And you said yes. Why would you say yes if you didn't like him?"

I found my eyes wandering in Jace's direction. He looked really handsome in his tux. He caught my gaze and smiled and I blushed and smiled back shyly.

When I turned my attention back on Danielle she was smirking.

"You do like him." She teased.

I sighed. "I'm really confused. I can't figure out my feelings. What I do know is that Jace is really good to me. He's always there to save me whenever I'm in trouble, he's like my guardian angel."

Danielle nodded. "He's a good guy and he obviously cares about you." She nudged my shoulder lightly. "If you really like him then you need to make your move, before it's too late. Tell him how you feel."

Her eyes trained on something behind us. "Bruce is calling me. I gotta go." She gave me a small hug before sauntering off.

I just shook my head and moved towards the refreshment table. I was just about to help myself to some cake when I felt someone tap my shoulder.

I turned around and came face to face with a guy I'd never seen before.

"This is for you." He said as he handed me a folded piece of paper.

Curiosity over weighed my confusion. I took the paper from his hand and unfolded it quickly scanning over the words,

"You look beautiful tonight, Scarlett.

I can't do this anymore. I need to tell you how I feel.

Meet me on the roof?"

My eyes scanned the room till they met Jace's, he smiled. I could feel my heart beat quicken. I gave him a small nod.

Jace had given me the letter.

He wanted to tell me how he felt.

I rushed outside the gym and made my way to the stair-case which led up to the roof.

The roof was dark and I could just make out his silhouette standing in the corner.

"Jace." I called out.

But then realized that he couldn't hear me. I walked a few paces ahead so I was closer to him. I was too nervous to look at his face.

"It's dark here, I don't know if you can read my lips but I need to tell you this." I cleared my throat my eyes still trained on the ground. "You've always been there for me. I can't thank you enough for standing up for me all those times. Sometimes I feel like you're my guardian-angel. You're always there when I need you. What I'm trying to say is..." I took in a deep breath. "I-I like you Jace." I finally whispered.

Silence.

"You like Jace?"

My head snapped up.

Hunter?

"Hunter? What are you doing here? You wrote me that letter?" I asked, shock lacing my voice.

His face hardened.

"Disappointed to see me? Poor Scarlett, were you expecting Jace?" He mocked.

I could feel my anger building up.

How

Dare

He

"What is this? Some sick joke to make fun of me?" I demanded.

He just chuckled coldly.

"Why?" I whispered, my voice cracked, my eyes filled with tears.

He didn't answer.

"Why?" I asked again, louder this time.

"Because I hate you! You have ruined me!" He shouted and I flinched away from him.

He turned away from me and started walking away.

"Come back here!" I demanded but he didn't listen, he just kept walking.

"Hunter! I'm not done talking to you." I started to run after him but my foot caught on something and I fell.

I winced when I hit the ground.

My hands and knees were bleeding, my dress was ruined and my face was wet with tears.

~~

The walk home was long but I couldn't go back inside and ask Jace to take me back. I couldn't risk running into Hunter again.

As soon as I reached the front door the sound of distinct shouting greeted my ears.

I hurried inside and ran to the living room where all the noise was coming from.

"Mom? Dad? What's wrong?" I demanded.

My mother's tear stained face was the first thing I saw.

"I can't do this anymore." She was saying to my dad.

"You can't just leave!" My dad shouted, clearly agitated.

"It's not your decision Richard! It's mine. When are you going to understand that?"

"Julie please." My father's voice broke and my mother turned away like she couldn't bear to look at him.

Her eyes met mine.

She came over and hugged me. "I'm so sorry darling but I have to leave. You can stay with your father if you want, I will completely understand."

My world was being ripped apart.

Torn to pieces before my very eyes.

I couldn't take it.

I couldn't survive here anymore.

There was too much pain.

"Just take me away from here." I whispered.

As I sat in the passenger seat beside my mother, I took one last look at the place I used to call my home.

Slowly, my hand traveled to my chest and clenched into a fist, right above the place where my heart was beating.

~~~~~~~~~

Team Hunter Or Team Jace? ;)