~34~

Six billion people in the world, six billion souls. And sometimes... all you need is one. -One Tree Hill

|Edited|

~~~~~~~~~~~

The smell of disinfectant stung my nose. I struggled to open my eyes.

I was in a hospital. The bright light of the morning sun streamed through the windows. I tried to sit up but groaned as a sharp pang of pain raced up my shoulder.

"You're finally awake."

I shrieked in surprise. My hand clutched at my chest as my eyes landed on Jace who was sitting on the small couch in the corner of the room. Danielle was curled up beside him sound asleep.

Jace slowly got up, careful not to wake Danielle and adjusted the blanket around her before approaching me.

"Sorry for startling you." He spoke softly. "I called your father. He and Sara are taking the first flight back from the Hamptons."

I sighed. "I wish you hadn't. They were supposed to be on vacation."

Jace sat down beside me. "He's your Dad, Bambi. We had to call him."

"Yeah, I know." I admitted begrudgingly.

For a moment we just sat there in silence. Then finally he moved.

"I believe this is yours." He murmured as he held up my cell phone.

My eyebrows drew together in confusion. "Why do you have my phone?"

"When I dropped you off at Hunter's place yesterday you left your phone in my car." He answered. "I came to give it back to you but when I came back I saw you leaving with Tristan. I had my suspicions, so I contacted Hunter. He asked me to follow you guys, so I did." Jace paused and gave me a small squeeze. "I followed Tristan's car to the safe-house, when I saw Ryder and his men dragging you inside, that's when I realized what was happening. I was the one who called the cops."

I swallowed.

"What Ryder said. . . about Megan. About violating her. Please tell me it isn't true." My voice was barely a whisper. I was shaking all over, praying that it wasn't reality.

Jace's face contorted in pain and I felt like the life had been sucked out of me.

Oh Megan.

I'm so sorry. So so sorry.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

"No. No! NO!" I sobbed into his chest.

Megan had been like a sister to me. I felt like I was going to throw up.

I wanted to kill those bastards.

I could hear the pain in his voice when he spoke. "Tristan admitted that he was the one who had taken her to Ryder. He owed Ryder money for the drugs he was supplying him and when he couldn't pay him back Ryder asked him for Megan in exchange. They've both already been charged. They're in prison Scarlett, for good."

I raised my tear stained face to meet his gaze. "Hunter. How is he?"

Jace winced. "Not good" He answered. "Finding out about Megan destroyed him."

I squeezed my eyes shut trying to deal with the waves of agony crashing down on me.

Hunter.

I had to see Hunter.

I yanked off my IV, completely oblivious to the pain, and quickly jumped off the bed.

"What are you doing?" Jace asked in alarm.