PREVIOUSLY

A/N: you don't have to read this if you don't want to!! It's just kind of a refresher of the important things that happened in book 1.

[]

    "Why do you want to dig the grave yourself?" He asks, face contorted in disbelief, the tone of his voice mirroring his expression.

"Just 'cause," I say, not wanting to say why I really want to do this by myself. He sighs again.

"Well what am I supposed to do, sit around and do nothing?" He asks, like the idea is the craziest he's ever heard. I shake my head.

"No, not nothing," I say. "You're going to keep me company." I roll my eyes and walk towards the grave, leaving him no room for argument.

It's only a half an hour later, and Sam keeps mumbling about how crazy I am for wanting to dig the grave by myself. I am already working up a sweat and only three feet down, with so much more to go. My hands are starting to hurt a little, but I know I can handle a lot more before it becomes unbearable.

"I didn't want to meet you," I blurt out to Sam while shoveling the dirt.

"What?" He asks, sounding unsure if he heard me right.

"I used to go to Bobby's... a lot," I admit, keeping my eyes on the ground and away from Sam's. "He would tell me stories about you guys... all the time." I pause a moment, taking a breath and shoveling some more. Sam doesn't say anything, but I'm sure he wants to hear more. "I used to suck at hunting, you know? The things he would tell me, about you guys... about your dad..." I pause again. "I thought you guys were just the coolest."

I pause a moment, using the handle of the shovel to rest my wrists on. "Really?" Sam says, sounding intrigued.

"He wanted me to meet you guys, he said," I say, feeling a bead of sweat rolling down my left temple. Is it getting hotter out here? "But I kept saying no."