21 | HOLD ON

Rowena stands up from the motel room bed when Sam comes out of the bathroom. He was talking to Dean alone about what's happening to the elder Winchester. "How is he?" Rowena asks Sam curiously.

    "Like you care," Sam says blankly as he takes a seat on the motel room bed. I'm lying across the other one on my belly, half paying attention to Scooby Doo playing on the television. "You know, I've seen my brother die, but watching him become... not him... this might actually be worse."

    I watch his face for a moment. He really wears his emotions in his facial expressions.

    "We need to find that grimoire," Rowena says. Sam scoffs and scratches the back of his head.

    "Of course," he says. "That's your angle, isn't it?" She looks offended. "Oh, come on, Rowena. A powerful spell book shows up and all of a sudden you're here to help? Altruism isn't exactly your style."

    Rowena's mouth hangs open for a moment. "True," she says. "Also, it never hurts to have a Winchester owe you one."

   "Gideon Loughlin's address was in his accountant's file. If the book is there, we'll find it," Sam says, getting up and getting his coat on. "Me and Bailey."

   "Of course you'll need me there to help—"

    "No, no, you're staying here with Dean," Sam says firmly.

    "I most certainly am not," Rowena says more firmly yet.

   "Well he can't come with me, and I'm not leaving him alone," Sam says. "And I obviously don't trust you."

   "Well, obviously," Rowena says. "The Black grimoire is written in ancient Druid. How do you propose to find a proper spell with me there—"

    "Okay, that's enough," I say loudly, getting up off the bed. "I'll stay here and babysit, then Rowena can go with you, okay?"

   "No," Sam says too quickly. I give him a look.

    "Why? This way Dean isn't by himself and you can figure out everything you need," I explain. He still doesn't look happy, but with me and Rowena staring him down, he doesn't have much of a choice.

   "Get in the car," he tells Rowena. She huffs, satisfied and leaves the room. Sam turns to me. "Don't let him out of your sight." I give him a look.

   "Do I look like I was born yesterday?" I ask.

   He sighs and turns around, leaving the motel room. I sigh in annoyance. "Yeah, I love you too," I say to the empty room in annoyance.

    •••

    I had all my guns laid out, because I needed something to do so I decided to go through and clean them. However, Dean is making it difficult.

   "Stop touching everything," I scold him.

    "Sorry," he says, walking a few steps away. I give him a weird look. He's acting VERY weird. He comes back, trying to grab at my cleaning supplies, but I gently whack his hand away. "Stop it!" I scold him, but not really since I'm laughing. I know I shouldn't be, because this is a very serious situation, but Dean is acting so out of character. "Here, play with this," I hand him a stuffed animal I had in my duffel bag. Don't judge me. "And I'll tell you a story."

    "Okay," Dean says, shrugging and leaning against the table. I kind of like Dean this way.

    "Once there was this girl," I start. "She was a hunter of the supernatural."