19 | IN MY HEAD

"My imagination's too creative
They see demon, I see angel, angel, angel
Without the halo, wingless angel."

-Ariana Grande

***

    I awake early the next morning, and in my sleep I see myself killing Ishim again. A bad start to a day, I think to myself as I push back the bundle of blanket and sheet. I hear the shower running. Sam was probably out running already. I check my watch and it's just after seven in the morning.

    "Ugh," I say as I stand and go to the fridge. Dean isn't here either, huh. It's not like he had the car, but the bar he was at is less than a mile away. He should have got in late last night, but the other motel room's bed is still made nicely. Dean hasn't been back.

   I grab one of my sodas out of the fridge and open it with a hiss. Sam comes out of the shower dressed and ready for the day.

    "Where's your idiot brother this morning?" I ask. I don't bother with pleasantries this morning, I'm really not in the mood to be nice. I know I'll apologize for my behavior as soon as I get out of it.

    "I don't know," he says, hanging his wet towel back in the bathroom and clicking the light off in there. "I tried to call him an hour ago but he didn't answer."

    "Jeez," I say, pushing my messy hair back.

    "He probably just got drunk and lost his phone," he says, sitting at the table next to the bed and opening up his laptop.

    "Yeah probably, the idiot," I say again, earning a weird look from Sam.

    "Someone's a little grouchy this morning, huh?" He asks, teasingly. I roll my eyes but don't say anything. I set my mountain dew on the counter and go into the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower.

    When I step out ten minutes later, fully dressed with a minty taste on my breath, Sam's tying up his shoes. "What's going on?" I ask, feeling better already after that shower.

   "Dean called," he says. "We got to meet him at Waldo's Waffles."

    I furrow my eyebrows at the dumb name. "That's all he said?" I ask.

    He shrugs. "Yeah, pretty much."

    "Okay, whatever," I shrug.

    ***

    Dean is already at the waffle place when we get there about fifteen minutes later. Sam hands him a bottle of aspirin as soon as we take seats at the counter.

    "Rough night?" Sam asks his brother.

    "Rough morning," Dean washes the pills down with his coffee.

    "What happened? I mean, you just went out to get some food," Sam asks curiously. Dean does look like crap.

    "I don't know," he answers.

    "You don't know?" I ask, making a face at him.

    "I guess I blacked out. And judging from the hangover, it was epic," Dean says.