32 | SIDE EFFECTS

Mary Winchester swings her fist into my face for the umpteenth time. I can taste the blood, feel it running down my nose. Again, and again. What is the point of this?

I tip my head back, groaning. "Oh, what would Sam and Dean think of you now, huh?" I say. I let my head fall back down again, looking at her. She still has that blank expression on her face.

She puts another needle in my arm, this time it's connected to a tube. I watch as my blood comes out and goes through the tube, into a little clear baggie. I can feel myself getting weaker as i watch the blood leave my body. My eyes get heavy and they fall shut again.

•••

The next time I open my eyes, I feel weaker than I ever have in my whole life. I tilt my head and look at my watch. It's Monday again. Holy shit, I've been here over a week.

I hear a bunch of noise outside, gunshots. My heart starts to beat harder in my chest. I wiggle my arms under the ropes, trying to will my power to the ropes, trying to burn them off. It's not working. I groan in frustration. I'm too weak, I've lost too much blood. I don't know how much they took; I was unconscious for most of the time, I think.

"Motherfucker," I grunt, wincing at the pain I feel all through my body. The fact that I haven't eaten in days doesn't help me either.

The door kicks open. I swear I'm hallucinating. I must be.

"Oh my god, Bailey," Jody Mills comes inside, with a gun in her hand. I sigh in relief.

"Jody?"

"You're okay, we're gonna get you out of here," she says, quickly cutting the ropes.

"Who's we?" I ask, my voice still slurred. "Where..."

"Come on, we gotta get out of here," she says, putting an arm around me to help me up. I try to stand up, but my knees buckle underneath me. I'm larger than Jody, and she's not strong enough to hold me up. I'm at one percent. I can't hold myself up.

"Bailey," she says, huffing in frustration. "Sam!" She calls out. A few moments later, he comes running in the room. He comes towards me. I find the strength to take my arm away from Jody and throw them around Sam's neck.

There's tears in my eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I left," I cry into his neck. I'm weak right now; I don't think about how pathetic I sound. I'll think about it later.

I feel his arms go around my waist, hugging me tightly. "It's okay. Let's get out of here, okay?" I pull away from him. "Can you walk on your own?" He looks in my eyes, and I find a little bit of strength. I thought I wasn't going to be able to see those eyes ever again.

"I don't know, I can try," I wipe the tears from my eyes.

"Come on," he takes my hand and I walk out of the room with him. I hold on to his hand tightly.

There are flashing red lights in the hallways. Jody hands me a spare gun and I smile gratefully at her.

Dr. Hess is running across the hall, and into another room. Sam briefly let's go of my hand to chase after her. "Don't! Dont," Sam stops her before she can pick up the gun on the table. She puts her hands up slowly.

"Listen, Dean," she begins.

"It's Sam," he says. "And you must be Hess, I trust." Where the hell is Dean anyway? "You're in charge of this whole operation? Or what's left of it?"

"Sam, you might think it in your best interest to kill me, to end all of this here. But shooting me now, severing all ties with the British Men of Letters, at this particular moment, that would be a grievous mistake."

"I doubt it," Sam says.

"There are reasons to reconsider, things that you don't know," she says, slowly creeping forward and grabbing a folder on the table and sliding it towards Sam. I watch from behind him as he opens the folder, looking at the pictures inside.

"What are these?" Sam asks.

"Lucifer is back," Dr. Hess says. I look at Sam in shock. His breath trembles. "Yes, Sam. All thanks to your good friend Crowley. Not that it did him much good. Crowley's dead." She puts her hands down. "And the Devil is out looking for his son, following in his mother's footsteps, tracking her and your friend, the angel. If Lucifer gets his hands on that child, they'll be unstoppable. You can't face that alone, you need us."

"Pass," Sam says.

"You bastard," she hisses, turning and grabbing a gun that's propped up against the wall. Before she can shoot it, Jody fires her gun right between Dr. Hess's eyes, killing her.

My arm is around Sam's shoulder as he helps me out of the building. "How the hell is Lucifer alive? Crowley screwed the spell up. Why would he do that?" I think out loud to Sam as we get outside.

"I don't know, it doesn't matter. He's dead now."

"I can't keep my eyes open, Sam," I say, my voice weak, trying hard but they are getting heavier with every passing moment. Everything still hurts. My heart still pounds in my arm, in my head.

"We'll be home soon Bailey," Sam says. "Just fight it a little longer. Just a little longer..."

I don't remember making it to the car.

•••

A/N: are ya ready for the last chapter?? It's coming soon!