TWENTY TWO

"Hey, Danny." You stood up from where you were sitting, and swept the back of your dress to dust off the wilted grasses.

He smiled and nodded, he didn't say much until the silence started shifting into awkwardness.

"So, I see you're still dating the booth guy."

"Harry. The booth guy's name is Harry," you corrected him, "and yeah, we're still going strong." You smiled weakly trying to lighten down the tensed mood.

His smile faded as he tried to reach for your hands but were soon retreated when you shook your head, "I'm sorry for what happened that day. I shouldn't have let that interfere my work, I feel kind of guilty for Wally's death."

As much as you would like to blame anyone, even yourself, for his death, you didn't let that emotion get to you, "Hey, It's not your fault, cancer is none of our shit, they just appear and take us down. Work of devil's doing God's job."

He nodded along, agreeing with you. "But still, I shouldn't have let that interfere us."

"it's fine, Danny. Nothing's wrong with us."

"Yeah, other than the fact that we used to talk and work and do a bunch of shits together."

You put your hand on his shoulder, "We can still do that."

"No, no we can't. You don't understand. That just makes it a whole lot worse."

You saw Harry walking back and forth through the door and you felt bad for Danny. You kind of knew what he meant but at the same time you didn't think it'd be that hard.

"You have my number, don't you? We could go out for lunch sometimes, just give me a call. And we really should avoid going to parties, the last one didn't turn out great," you joked, gaze shifting over to Harry ever so often to check on him.

"Look, I have to go, it's been real good catching up with you, call me if you need anything."

When you were in the car with Harry, he was silent, not that you would hype along with him after this terrible event.

"Handsome, do you want to grab some lunch?" you asked.

"Sure, we can eat somewhere around my café, I just want to drop by to check in."

"Okay," you reached over to squeeze his hand that was sitting on his lap.

Your phone rang as you fumbled around your purse for it, "Alex, hi."

"Hi. Listen, you piece of talent, what do you think about grabbing lunch with me?"

You frowned and tsked, "I'm kind of busy."

"On a Sunday afternoon?"

"I'm grabbing lunch with someone else." Harry's ears perked up, trying to pick up on bits of conversations of you and Alex.

"Oh come on, you've been blowing this off couple times already, bring them along. We'll eat together."

"I don't know, hang on, I'll ask." You covered your phone and turned over to Harry to whisper, "Hey, you want to grab lunch with Alex?"

"Where is it?"

"Somewhere in the city."

He frowned and looked over to you before focusing back on the road, "That's quite far, I don't know bunny."

"Please," you whined, "my career kind of depends on this."

"A lunch?"

"Harry."

He stopped the car before the red light, "No, bunny, it's too far."

"Well then I can drive myself there."

"I thought you were having lunch with me? Can't you just blow this off?" He asked.

"No, I blew it off once to spend Christmas with you." You lowered your voice even.

He sighed, "I haven't been spending much time with you lately, come on bunny."

You shook your head, "I'll have dinner with you, I'm sorry." You picked up your phone to confirm with Alex before Harry could start another banter with you.

You could heard Harry's constant huffing and puffing through the ride but you decided to ignore it.