Chapter 23: Stay With Me

This chapter is 3,264 words long and I honestly hope that somewhat makes up for my absence. I am so very sorry, but thank you all for sticking around.

As the doctor slowly rolled the monitor over my flat stomach, I stared emotionless at the screen. My mind absent from the entire appointment as the heartbeat filled my ears. It's not that I didn't care how the baby was doing, what soon-to-be mommy of two wouldn't care about her incoming bundle of joy? There was just so much other things floating through my mind I couldn't just focus on my baby, I had to focus on everything else as well.

It'd been weeks since Ryan's sudden disappearance, and with everyone walking on eggshells around me it was difficult to think of anything else. I had moved out of my parents place, again that is, and into a cozy two bedroom townhouse 30 minutes away. It was somewhat closer to Eric's though, which made the exchanges of our son both quick and easy. But the most disturbing and unsettling of things, was the filling constantly rising in my chest. The feeling of hurt, betrayal, and anger. My wolf was enraged that Ryan had managed to string us along for so long only to leave us at the alter looking stupid in front of our entire pack and elders of it.

"Your baby seems to be doing excellently. The growth seems to be perfectly timed, and the heart beat nice and strong." The doctor informed me, only to recieve a distracted grunt in response. Eric, whom had been holding my hand throughout the visit, now gave it a soft reassuring squeeze to bring me back to reality.

"I'm sorry what was that?" I asked, my heart pounding within my chest from Eric's touch, but filling empty at the exact time. Dr. Maxwell gave me a knowing smile before pulling the monitor from my stomach and watching me slowly make my way into a sitting position. Everyone who knew me or my father knew about my being left at the alter due to my fiance's sudden disappearance. It sucked honestly, the constant calls asking about my mental state, the random house visits, awkward offers to babysit Aiden so I could have thinking time... And worst of all, the questions of what I planned to do with myself now. 

"Dr. Maxwell was just saying that the baby seemed to be doing alright. Perfect for being 8 weeks in, right doctor?" Eric explained, his hand still wrapped around mine as the doctor gave a abrupt nod. Not many people knew of my pregnancy, and honestly I preferred it that way. It was now a small secret I'd only allowed a few to be in on, a few such as; Eric of course, my mother, Cassidy, and Jason. The last two only because they had predicted it in the first place, and my mother because she had guessed and lying was of no use. I did, however, plan on telling my father and Uncle soon but as for now the timing seemed horrifically wrong. With the constant search parties they sent out looking for Ryan and count less sightings of rogues at the border line, they were both far too restless to handle the news.

"That's great, I'm happy." I sighed. "Relieved actually." I slowly pulled my hand from Eric's and blinked back the tears that were suddenly ready to fall, not wanting to cry in front of the two men in the room. Dr. Maxwell handed my a thin folder, a pity filled smiled placed upon his lips as he did so.

"I wish I could say the same about you, you don't seem to be doing so well." Dr. Maxwell stated. I looked up to him with a smile, forcing a confused look onto my face. But just as I opened my mouth he began to speak once more. "I think you should consider seeing a therapist, depression could be very bad for the baby. We wouldn't want any harm to come to the little one."

"That's a good idea, thank you doctor." My head jerked into Eric's direction as the words left his mouth. How dare he stand there and pretend he knew what was best for me. I wouldn't be going to a therapist, despite what they thought, I didn't need outside help. What I did need however, was an explanation.

As we made our out of the doctors office and to the car, Eric quickly rushed ahead and opened my door before getting in on his own side. It wasn't until we were on the road that I realized how awkward the silence was and decided to break it. "I don't need a therapist. I'm fine." The words flew from my mouth before I could stop them, my wolf whimpering somewhere from deep inside of me.