On The Run: Chapter 8

Two weeks later...

I picked up my shoes and went downstairs, Trevan held out two of my school shirts which were creased and he smiled.

"Um, I tried ironing them for you but it didn't quite work." I shrugged and took them out of his grip. Trevan had let me stay with him, his mum liked me so she didn't mind, I explained what had happened to her and she said my mum wasn't a proper mother. I just couldn't understand why my mum hated black people so much, she wouldn't tell me. I've been back home several times to try and get in but no-one would answer the door; I wondered if my dad knew? He hadn't come back from America yet but I was sure mum might have told him.

"Are you going in today then?" Trevan asked.

"I don't know."

"Nat, you've been off for 2 days." I shrugged, I'd been disowned by mother and he thought I cared about school?

"I don't care, I just want to go home." He sighed and pulled me in for a hug.

"Nats, you can't go home I'm sorry babes." It shouldn't be like this. I should be in my room getting ready for school and Star on her way to meet me but instead I was living with my friend and his mum in a house that wasn't mine for a reason I didn't know of. Then I realised how comes I hadn't heard from Jamal? We pulled apart and I smiled at Trevan.

"Thanks Tre."

"It's fine Nats, think of it this way you finish year 11 in 2 more days." I nodded, when he put it like that, I did look forward to going in now. I went upstairs and put my uniform on seeing as I'd already showered and I brushed my hair, I went downstairs and put my shoes on and Trevan walked towards me putting his new era on.

"Where you going?" I asked.

"Taking you to school." He said grinning and I laughed.

"I'm not a baby."

"I know but still, can't I walk with my friend?" I shrugged and picked up my bag, we left and started walking to the bus stop.

"Tre, where's Jamal? I haven't seen or heard from him in a little while." I said, I was slightly worried. I'm not sure why but inside I just had this worried feeling, Trevan shook his head.

"It's probably nothing he might of erm, lost his phone or something." I frowned, and he quickly looked away from me. I hated them all keeping a secret from me exactly like last time with the stabbing, please don't tell me he'd done something stupid AGAIN. I couldn't handle him sometimes. We got to the bus stop and sat down on the wall.

"Tre, I know you're lying to me... where is he?"

"Who Jamal? I told you, I don't know."

"What if something has happened to him?" He sighed and looked at me.

"Please, don't stress." I screwed him and he started laughing, everyone knew how much that flipping phrase got on my nerves. "Don't stress" just made me stress out even more, especially because they used it so casually in bad situations. My stomach felt a bit funny, I think it was the thought of Jamal doing a disappearing act again, what if he was ignoring me because of what happened between us? Was it really that bad? And where was Khai? Trevan could tell I was still thinking about it and he put his arm around me once we got off the bus and started walking into school over to where the others were.

"Jamal's no good for her, she's already trying it with his best friend." I heard Shontae say and Kyla gave her a screw.

"Shut your cum filled mouth." She silenced and Kyla kissed her teeth and got up to hug me, I hugged her back and Star didn't get up or even look at me she just sat there tapping her foot and she glared at Trevan.