11 | The Truth Hurts Sometimes

Burn - Ellie Goulding 

11 | The Truth Hurts Sometimes

***

Twenty minutes after being kidnapped by Max, I'm still here waiting to be released. After the argument we had continued to go on an endless cycle, I decided I would just shut my mouth and wait until he gets fed up with the silent treatment. He should then release me. 

"You know the longer you stay silent, the longer you stay in here with me." Max attempts to get me talking again. "This is really immature, you're acting like my five—year—old cousin." 

I still ignore him. I've been leaning against the wall for a while now, trying to keep some distance between us. This closet is really tiny making it hard to keep space between us. I hate to admit it but when I'm close to him, I feel all of those emotions that I had two years ago. Its confusing as hell, I hate the guy yet I still feel the attraction, the pull between us. 

He broke my heart; I'm still having butterflies when I'm close to him. 

Damn you, Max. 

He frustratedly tugs a hand through his brown hair, shooting an annoyed look my way. I mentally smirk at what I'm doing to him—I'm finally getting on his nerves! 

"Ava, please," he begs. "Please just answer me, just give me some sort of response. I need to tell you what happened two years ago. Its been driving me insane. What you saw wasn't what you think, please." 

Lies. Lies. Lies. I know what I saw two years ago, I have eyes. I saw it perfectly well, he's trying to change my views. What is it they say?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me a second time...

"Goddammit, woman, just listen to me for five minutes, if you still want to hate me and never see me again then fine. I will accept that and will leave you alone." Max offers, his face not looking pleased at all by the last bit. 

Hmm, is it worth it? I mean, I only have to listen to him produce some pitiful, well—rehearsed excuse and then I can go. He will then leave me alone for the rest of my time here. 

Easy right? Only five minutes of my time for the rest of my life.

"Fine," I agree, biting my lip. 

Max exhales with relief like he thought I wouldn't take up his offer and would continue to ignore him. 

"You have five minutes starting from now," I announce. I'm going to count down in my head seeing as I can't be bothered to go on a hunt for my phone that is somewhere in my bag. 

"Right so, what you saw didn't actually happen." He starts and I roll my eyes. You've already said that a dozen times. Max must have noticed my irritated look because he shoots me a glare and continues, "it was a setup."