28 | I Made A Mistake

Perfect - One Direction

28 | I Made A Mistake

Word count: 1686 

***

"Thanks, Ava. What you did was amazing." Miranda says, her voice laced with gratitude. Smiling, I take my apron off and head over to the locker room.

My forehead is sweating from all of the work I was doing in the hot conditions. I wipe it off with the back of my hand, releasing a tired sigh.

"Hey Ava," Katilyn pops her head around the corner. "This was left for you."

She hands me a small piece of paper. Curiously, I accept it and wish Katilyn thanks. After joining this homeless shelter, I met Katilyn who is a really nice person. She has been working here for three years, ever since her aunt admitted she was homeless to her family. She said she wanted to help everyone else who was in the same position as her aunt out.

Me, I wanted to join because I needed a distraction. Its nearly been a whole school year and with my exams almost over, I have more time. I started here a few months ago; have loved every moment here.

I also decided to do this to take my mind off of Max. It has been a lot harder than I expected for me to do things my own way. Perhaps if I was somewhere away from him, I would find it easier. But seeing him at least four times a week has been challenging.

I haven't heard much from him. I think I overheard some girl gossiping that he was going on a date with someone my age. Apparently, she was a cheerleader. At first, I felt a tidal wave of jealousy. I had pictured that he would be ready to ask me the question as soon as graduation day came. But after a lot of mental deliberation, I came to realize that I shouldn't be angry with him or jealous. This was my choice. And as a friend, I should be happy for him.

Never sad, angry or jealous.

And so I sucked it up. I plastered a smile on my face and felt happy for him. And I do. This is his choice, it's his life.

We both needed time away from each other. We both needed to find ourselves and what we wanted. For too long, we let that incident determine our lives. But not anymore.

"Thanks, Katilyn," I say with a smile. She returns it and then disappears again, back to work.

My fingers skim the thin piece of paper, wondering what it could say and who it could be from. If it's from George, one of the workers who has been set on dating me since the moment I arrived, I'm going to kill him.

Mentally, I shake my head from those thoughts and unfold the note. As soon as I see my name written, I note how it isn't in Geroge's handwriting but in someone else's - an unfamiliar handwriting.

Ava,

I'm sorry I couldn't say this to you in person. I know I would prefer it would be better with spoken words. So I apologize.

I am writing this letter to thank you for all of the work you have done for me. When I first came here, I was miserable and lonely. I couldn't see a future for myself. But you encouraged me to pursue my happiness. For someone so young, you are very wise. Every Sunday, I looked forward to your shift, ready to hear one of your funny stories or your little pep talks. Because o those talks, I am going to be starting a new job next week.

I never would have gotten to where I am without you. You put faith in me, hope. And I will always be in debt to you for that.

I have also noticed how sad you look. I'm not completely familiar with what's going on in your life but if I could take a guess, from experience, I would say you are lost. Heartbroken. Lonely. So I'm going to give you the exact same advice you gave me. Pursue your happiness, Ava. Because you deserve it too.