3. Meeting Her✔

Living Room, Mehra Mansion

It was finally Wednesday, the day when the Mehta family was coming. It was six o' clock in the evening. They could arrive anytime. Everyone was eagerly waiting for them. All the arrangements had been made. Even Ajay was present despite his unwillingness. He felt like breaking a few more cups in order to cool down his anger. But he stayed still.

The doorbell rang. Soon, the butler came with Mr. Mehta and his family. Vijay dismissed the servant and hugged his friend. After exchanging formalities, he introduced the guests as Mr. Parth Mehta, his wife Mrs. Alka Mehta and his daughter, Nidhi Mehta.

Ajay looked at Nidhi. She looked like a simple, shy girl. She was beautiful, no doubt. She had fair complexion and a round face. Her baby blue eyes showed innocence. She was short in height and was wearing a pink saree.  Ajay thinks to himself, "I don't believe this. Dad wants me to marry this girl. What has she got?"

His thoughts were interrupted by his father's voice. He and Mr. Mehta were talking about their young days. Everyone had settled down on the sofas. Nidhi was sitting between her parents, and was playing with the end of her saree. The topic changes to business and then to politics. After what seemed like hours, Parth Mehta said, "It is yes from our side, Vijay. Nidhi knows all about Ajay and she has already given her approval."

Vijay smiled. He liked the innocence of his friend's daughter and was ready to do anything in order to have her as his daughter-in-law. He suggested, "They talk to each other. Rahul, take them to the garden and COME back."

Rahul grinned. He and Ajay got up. Parth gestured Nidhi to go. She followed Rahul and Ajay to the garden.

Garden

Rahul brought both of them to the garden and gestured them to sit on the chairs present there. He then introduced himself to Nidhi, "I am Rahul Mehra. I will soon be a graduate. And...I am not boring like my brother." Nidhi laughed. She pulled his cheeks while Rahul grinned. Ajay smiled seeing them but soon masked his expressions.

Soon, Rahul gave them a bow and left the place, whispering "Enjoy your date."

Nidhi blushed while Ajay controlled his urge to punch Rahul. Instead he turned his attention to Nidhi and asked, "So, what are your qualifications?" Nidhi shyly answered, "I have done my masters in Ancient History."

Ajay thought, "How can someone study such a useless subject?" However he asked her, "Any hobbies?" Nidhi replied, "Sketching."

Ajay thought once again, "Again a useless thing to do." His thought was broken by Nidhi's question, "What are your hobbies?" Ajay replied, "I have no hobbies. I never got time for something." Nidhi said in worries tone, "But you should find time for something. It will help you relax. It will help you take your mind off the stresses of everyday life."

Ajay muttered a small, "Yeah." Nidhi gives him a smile. They talk for some more time and then decide to go inside.

Ajay thought to himself, "Oh God! She is so irritating. I just can't imagine living with her. She has got time for all useless things. Arghh."

Living Room

Ajay and Nidhi enter the living room. Ajay could see curiosity on everyone's face. However, Vijay states, "We will not ask anything right now. You can tell us your answers later." Parth nodded.

Everyone spent the evening together talking and enjoying. Everyone except Ajay. He was getting irritated every passing second. 

The Mehta family left after dinner. As they had gone away, Vijay asked everyone to settle down.

Ajay spoke immediately, "Dad, I don't want to marry right now. And not this girl. She is so shy and....No dad, I can not marry her."

Vijay spoke in a determined voice, "This is my final decision. You will marry Nidhi only. I have given my word to her father. And even she is ready for this marriage. I am not going to break an innocent child's heart."

Ajay started to speak, "Dad, but...." He was stopped by his father, who said, "If you don't marry her, then....then you will see my dead face."

Everyone was shocked.

Ajay reluctantly agreed, "Okay Dad. You win. I will marry her." Vijay smiled and said, "I know, Ajay. You think her as boring. Her hobbies and interests as useless. But she has everything you need. Just wait and watch."

Ajay left the room in anger. Rahul asked "Uncle, were you really....."

Vijay smiled and said, "Oh no! And your brother knows that. It was just a way to tell him that I am not going to listen to him."

Everyone smiled. They soon called it a day.

_________________________________

Hope you enjoy it.

~Purnima