15. My Place in Your Life✔

Ajay and Nidhi had completed three weeks of their marriage. Their situation had not much improved in these three weeks. Nidhi continued to sleep on the couch and Ajay continued to ignore her presence in his life. Nidhi had done everything she could think of - cooking, dressing up for him - but Ajay was not bothered by it. He acknowledged her presence only in front of the family. 

A person might be very patient but there comes a point of time when he/she loses the patience. They give in to their feelings and react. Nidhi, too had reached the borderline of her patience now. She was not tired of making the efforts but of the lack of response from Ajay. She could not understand how and when would she be able to change Ajay. She had started to feel that she was fighting a lost battle.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

Some old college friends of Ajay had come to visit him. They were sitting in the living room, chatting and teasing each other and reminiscing their college days. Happiness was quite evident on Ajay's face. He was enjoying himself to the fullest. 

Nidhi entered the room with some snacks. Ajay did not look at her, leave alone introducing her. Recognizing Nidhi as Ajay's wife, one of them asked teasingly, "Who is she, Ajay?"

Ajay spoke arrogantly, "I don't know. Must be the new maid." All his friends were shocked. They looked at Nidhi, who rolled her eyes, behaving as if it was a joke. His friends chuckled. One of them asked Nidhi, "So bhabhiji, what do you think about Ajay?" He winked. Ajay rolled his eyes in irritation and asked, "Why do you have to ask such a stupid question?" His friend said, "We want to know how much bhabhiji loves you?" Nidhi blushed, while Ajay said rudely, "As if she married me out of love!!!

His friends looked at him in shock. They did not know how to react. Nidhi excused herself and left the room. Ajay's words had broken Nidhi's heart into a million pieces. 

Ajay's Room

Nidhi entered the room and locked it. She sat down on the floor and cried. "You have finally shown me my place in your life." She bent forward where she sat on the floor and pressing her palms to the mat, she began to cry with the force of a person vomiting on all fours. She had no more control over her emotions. 

...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~   

Later that night, everyone gathered for dinner, everyone except Nidhi. Rahul looked at Ajay and asked, "Where is bhabhi?" Ajay shrugged his shoulders, "I was busy with my friends.

Rahul and  Mala got up and reached Ajay's room. Everyone else followed. The door was locked. All of them panicked. No one had seen Nidhi for the past five hours. The door was broken.

Nidhi was lying on the floor. Sitting beside her, Mala checked her and said, "She is unconscious and having high fever. Take her to the bed Ajay." Ajay carried her to the bed and laid her down comfortably. The doctor was called for. The medicines were given. The reason for the fever was excessive stress she had taken. Everyone told her to rest, not realizing that it was her mind, her heart which was tired.

_______________________________

So, how is it? 

~Purnima