4. Her Excitement & His Frustration✔

Same Night, Ajay's Room

The room looked like it belonged to a king. It was a combination of red and cream. A King size bed was in the centre attached to the wall. On the same wall, was hanging a big portrait of Ajay. On the left side, there was a walk in closet, which had everything Ajay could need. On the same side, there was a door which opened to the balcony. On the right side, there was another door to the bathroom. On the right side, there was a couch with a table in front of it.

Ajay was sitting on the couch, with a liquor bottle kept on the table. He was holding a wine glass in his hand and was undoubtedly, drunk.

Ajay - "I don't want to marry. Why d...don't they under...understand? I will run away."

He gets up to leave but then stops.

Ajay - "No...if I leave who will take care of Rahul. No, he...needs.....needs me. I will not le..leave him alone. I will be his gooood elder brother."

He finishes the wine in the glass and pours another for himself. On the table, Nidhi's photo was kept. He picks it up along with the glass.

Ajay - "Nidhi. You are very beautiful. Very beautiful. Yes. But I don't want to marry you. You are very sweet. But I don't want to marry you. You cared for me in the garden. You are caring. But I don't want to marry you. Do you understand? I don't want to marry you."

He gulps the wine in a go.

Ajay - "Dad was saying truth. You have everything I need. Love, care and concern. But I don't want to marry you."

He keeps the glass down and starts drinking directly from the bottle.

Ajay - "But I have to. Because it will make my parents happy. And they want to bring you in the family. But you will never live in my heart. Never."

He keeps on muttering such things and finally sleeps on the couch itself.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

Nidhi's Room, Mehta House(Delhi)

Nidhi was lying on the bed, thinking about the evening. Her parents had given her time till next morning to think about the proposal and take a decision. She remembered how Rahul had termed hers and Ajay's meeting as 'Date'. Her cheeks turned pink. She thought, "I would love to go on a date with you, Ajay but I can feel that you don't entertain such things. Not a problem!!" She keeps on blushing and finally falls asleep, knowing what her decision is.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~  

Next Morning

Mehra Mansion

The servant enters Ajay's room and cleans it, removing every evidence of the fact that Ajay had been drinking. It was his routine. Ajay was in the habit of drinking when he gets too much upset. So, he had instructed that his room should be cleaned early morning and no one in the house should know that he had been drinking.

The servant does his job and leaves the room after keeping a bottle of lemonade on the table. Few minutes later, Ajay wakes up and drinks the lemonade. Then, he goes to get ready for the office.

Living Room

Ajay walks into the living room and sits on the sofa. The servant gives him breakfast. He eats it uninterested. His thoughts were focused on his coming wedding, which he could not escape. Though he wanted to break the alliance, he could not go against his father. 

His thoughts were interrupted by his parents, who had just entered the living room and looked very happy. He looked at them and asked, "What happened? You both look very happy."

Vijay told him, "Nidhi has agreed for the marriage. Day after tomorrow evening, we are going to Parth's place and you will get engaged to her."

Ajay stares at his father. He was shocked would be an understatement. "Engagement so soon?" asked Ajay. Vijay replied, "Yes. And I know that you are free that evening. So, don't try to find an excuse."

Ajay clenched his fists. He keeps the half eaten breakfast on the table and immediately leaves for office.

Mehra Industries

Ajay reached the office. His anger was still at its peak. He dismissed his secretary for coming five minutes late, completely ignoring that it was him who had reached early. Another six coffee mugs had been broken within the next two hours. Everyone in the office wondered the reason for his anger but no one dared to ask or even think of asking. 

Two hours later, he received a call from his mother.

Mala - "Ajay, you need to accompany me and Rahul for your engagement shopping."

Ajay - "Mom, I am not interested in all this. Please, you do it yourself."

Mala - "Ajay...this is not right. I am coming to you within half an hour and you are accompanying me and Rahul. That's final."

Saying so, she cut the call and Ajay threw the seventh coffee mug on the floor.

_________________________________

So, how is it?

~Purnima