9. Wedding & Shock✔

The wedding day had finally arrived. The Managing Director of The Mehra Industries and the most eligible bachelor was getting married. The entire business world had come together to witness his marriage. Some were jealous for not getting Ajay as their son-in-law, some expected reduction in Ajay's efficiency post marriage, some were truly happy for the couple. Everybody had something to say. Above all, every one was waiting to see the girl who was going to marry this business tycoon. The reporters were all over the place, asking questions and waiting for the rituals to begin.

The groom, Ajay Mehra, had entered the venue and was welcomed by his mother-in-law, Alka Mehta. He was dressed in a white Sherwani. Alka led him to the wedding altar or mandap, where Parth Mehta washed his feet. The priest started reciting shlokas or the Sanskrit verses designed to engulf the surrounding atmosphere with positive energy. He finally called for the bride.

Nidhi entered the hall, dressed in a traditional red lehenga. All the cameras turned towards her. Everyone wanted a glimpse of soon-to-be Mrs. Ajay Mehra. She was led to the altar by her cousins and aunts. After some time and some more rituals, the priest calls for the bride's parents for Kanyadaan. The rituals continue. The priest gave mangalsutra to Ajay to tie around Nidhi's neck. He did so and filled Nidhi's partition with sindoor. Nidhi closed her eyes, feeling emotional. Finally the bride and bridegroom are asked to stand for the saptpadi or the seven vows.

Let us take the first step to sharing the responsibility of providing for our household

Let us take the second step to strengthen our mind, body and soul to accomplish life's needs

Let us take the third step to accomplish wealth and prosperity through righteous means

Let us take the fourth step to acquire happiness through mutual love, respect and trust

Let us take the fifth step to raise strong, virtuous and courageous children

Let us take the sixth step towards spiritual values and longevity

Let us take the seventh step to stay best friends in this lifelong wedlock

They were finally declared as a married couple. They go to touch the feet of the elders. Everyone blessed them to have a beautiful married life.

Everyone moved forward to have the dinner. Ajay and Nidhi were made to sit on chairs and were told to feed each other. Nidhi blushed, while Ajay got irritated.

Ajay (thinking) - "How many rituals are there? I am seriously tired."

They feed each other while their cousins whistle and hoot.

It was soon the time for vidai. Nidhi cried in her parents arms. Her father patted her back and slowly led her to the car. Ajay was getting irritated every passing minute. He wanted to drag Nidhi with him. Though his heart was hurt on seeing her cry, he chose to ignore his feelings. Somehow, Nidhi stopped crying and sat in the car. Ajay sat on the other side and they drove back to the Mehra Mansion.

Mehra Mansion

Ajay and Nidhi were welcomed by Mala with aarti. Nidhi is instructed to enter the house by giving a slight push to the pot of rice with her right leg. Then, she was asked to dip her hands in red coloured water and leave her hand's impressions on the wall.

The entire day passed in performing the post-wedding rituals.

Night, Ajay's Room

Ajay enters his room to find it completely transformed. The room was decorated with flowers. There were scented candles all around. Rose petals were lying on the floor and the bed. He frowned. Then realization dawned upon him. It was his wedding night. Nidhi was sitting on the bed, her head covered with veil. Ajay moved towards her and sat in front of her. He lifted her veil and looked at her face. For a moment, he was lost in her beauty. But he soon controlled himself.

Ajay says in an authoritative tone, "Look, I don't have any feelings for you. You will live here as my wife, but don't expect me to love you or something like that. And don't you dare tell this to your parents. Now, go and change."

Nidhi's heart breaks on hearing Ajay's words. The first thought that comes to her mind was to call her father. But then the thought that his father will be broken, stops her. She goes to the washroom. As she closes the door, tears escape her eyes. While she removes her jewelry and makeup and changes into a simple saree, her mind thinks about Ajay's words. She decides to make efforts for this relationship and change Ajay for good. She washes her face multiple time, before going back to the room.

She enters the room and moves towards the bed when Ajay's voice stops her. "What do you think you are doing? Go and sleep on the couch. I am not sharing my bed with you."

Tears welled up in Nidhi's eyes, threatening to fall any minute. She moves to the couch and lays down to spend a sleepless night, full of tears.

_______________________________

So, how is it?

~Purnima