18. You Have Done Nothing✔

Nidhi's Room

Nidhi entered her room to find Ajay sitting on the bed, which his hands in his palms. He looked disturbed and broken. The sound of the door closing caught his attention.

Ajay stood up and said, "Nidhi......" Nidhi ignored him and moved towards the bed. Ajay continued, "Please don't do this, Nidhi. You know my reasons for behaving like that. You know everything. Please. Please Nidhi, please." Nidhi spoke this time, "Your reasons do not give you the right to do what you did, Mr. Mehra. Especially, what you did that night."

Ajay was taken a back. Yet he spoke, "I know. But.....can't you just forget it?" "Forget it? Okay. Let's say I did forget it. Now? Give me one reason, why I should spend my life with you. One thing you did for me, to make me feel special. Or one thing, which might give me a reason to believe you. And don't mention Mr. Mittal's party. Because you have accepted that you would have done that for any stranger too," spoke Nidhi harshly.

Ajay sighed. He had no answer to her questions. "Cat got your tongue? I will give the answer. You have done nothing. Nothing for me. Nothing for us," saying so, Nidhi left the room. But to Ajay, it seemed as if she left his life.

Nidhi's Room, Night

Ajay entered the room, tired from his all day work. He had been to the Ahmedabad office of Mehra Industries to check the progress but all he did was to shout at everyone for everything. Ajay Mehra was known for his anger and today, his employees got to know why. Even for making the smallest mistake, Ajay scolded them terribly. Not to mention that his cabin in the office was destroyed due to his anger. Not a thing was at its original place. Not to mention those twelve cups, which were sacrificed to his anger.

He entered the room, hoping that Nidhi's anger had subsided but what he saw shocked him. Nidhi was making a bed on the floor. "You are not sleeping on the floor, Nidhi," he said.

Nidhi finished making the bed and looked at him. "Of course I am not. This is for you, Mr. Mehra. Like you made me sleep on the couch in your room. I will make you sleep on the floor in mine."

Ajay was taken aback. The Nidhi standing in front of him was very much different from the one he knew. He looked at her face but realised that she was not joking. He sighed and laid down on the floor. Nidhi switched off the lights and laid down on the bed to sleep.

Ajay thought, "I guess this is fair. You faced a lot because of me."

He sighed and closed his eyes to remember the day he broke her heart.

Tears slipped down as he thought, "Why would she not hate me? I hurt her, broke her. She had left her family for me and what did I do..... I was a fool then but not now. Give me a chance Nidhi. I promise to love you."

Oblivious to his feelings and thoughts, Nidhi slept peacefully.

Next Morning

Nidhi, Ajay and Rahul were ready to leave for Bangalore. Rahul's first term at IIM Bangalore was beginning two days later. Parth Mehta dropped them to the airport. They bid him farewell and began their journey. All the while, Nidhi ignored Ajay. She talked to Rahul, asked him for help, sat next to him. Rahul could easily understand that she was angry but was not aware about the intensity of her anger.

After reaching Bangalore, the couple dropped Rahul to the flat he was going to live in. He was to share it with his childhood friend, Vikram Khanna. They wished him best of luck for his new journey and left for the airport.

The journey from Bangalore to Delhi was an exceptionally silent one. Nidhi avoided Ajay like a plague. Ajay felt broken but his heart reminded him how he had hurt her. He silently accepted his punishment.

Both of them were hurt. Both of them were broken. When one wanted to love, the other ran away. When the other wishes to love, the first one is running away. They began their journey not knowing where it would take them.

__________________________________

So, how is it?

~Purnima