Shades Of Gray

Chapter 3

I look down at the ground. I feel Allison's stare on me. "Scott tell her." My voice wavering some. I can't be the one to do this. I can't, not without explain my own hand in this.

Derek's eyes fall on me. I walk over to the closet where Erica was. "Derek we found Erica." I say. He turns to follow me. Allison watches us away. He knows what he's about to see and stops me once we are out of ear shot of Allison.

He grabs my arm gently. "Let me see your eye first." His voice is gentle.

 "It's just a scratch." I offer. 

He holds my chin so I am looking up at him and looks at my cut. "It's not as deep as when Isaac scratched you." I watch his eyes. He gently touches the area around my scratch, it's a little sore, but I don't flinch, she only nicked me.

"You're pissed at me aren't you?" I ask. 

He lets out a breath. "No."

Both of our voices quiet neither of us having the strength to fight.

"Yes you are." I correct softly.

 "I'm not mad, I'm just... I don't know." I take my hand and put it on his shoulder which is cut but my hand doesn't touch the wound.

"Derek. I had to come and help." I say softly, I'm tired of fighting with him over this.

"I know. But you don't get it. You won't heal like I do. When I watch you jump into fights it's like I'm waiting for you to get hurt." He argues his voice catching.

"I know but I need to fight or else, the people I love die. You included in that list. If I didn't try to stop Allison last year." I argue.

"Em, I can't lose you." He whispers and he lets go of my face and looks away.

 I grab his chin and tilt it up to look at me. "You won't." I state firmly.

"I hope so." He walks into the closet and stops when he see's Erica. His whole body freezes and tightens up.

 "I'm so sorry." I whisper. Nothing I can say will make this better.

He says nothing just looks stunned at Erica's body. He bends down and picked up Erica's dead body and looks like he has tears in his eyes. But I know him he won't let them fall.

The thing he says next shocks me beyond belief. "Do me a favor, don't let this be you next." His voice has no trace of emotion. I look at him shock. He really was scared for me. I'm not trying to hurt him.

=

I walked back over with Derek ahead of me. Allison saw us and the look on her face told me Scott already told her. I walk over to her, Derek and Scott leave us alone.

"Allison, I'm so sorry. I never told you." I whisper. 

"Why didn't you?" She asks her betrayal covering her soft features.

"I couldn't let that be the last thing you knew mom did. I'm sorry. I thought I was protecting you." I whisper my voice catching. 

"That's why you were with Derek. You knew it wasn't all his fault. You've known the whole time." She whispers her voice having a hard edge to it.

"I'm so sorry. But I have to help them."

"I know. You protect everyone." Her voice comes out like it was meant as a dig.

"If you don't want to it's okay. I don't blame you." She nods.

I run off with Scott and Derek to the preserve. After they told me the girl that was in the vault was Cora Derek's younger sister he told me about, in the first few months I met him and we had to deal with the Alpha.