5. Lying

--

"Code 237 on Waid Boulevard." Cisco says into his phone to Barry. "Public indecency?" Barry asks him confused. "Wait, I think I meant 239." Cisco tells him. "Dog leash violation?" "Bad man with a gun in a getaway car. Go!" I say in the phone.

"Wait, why can't Kat go?" He asks. "I broke my wrist while training you, remember." I say annoyed and spin the chair I'm sitting around. "Oh, yeah, sorry." He starts running.

After he stopped the bad guy and placed him on the backseat of the police car he hangs up and went back to where he first was. "I'm bored. I hate being injured." I say to Cisco. "Yeah, well, you have to get used to it. You don't have healing powers." He says to me.

"I'm starving, wanna go get some big belly burger?" He asks me. "Thought you'd never ask." I stand up, feeling a little dizzy from the spinning in my chair. "You alright there?" he asks me. "I'm fine, let's go."

--

"What happened to you?" Stephan asks me when he sees me sitting in Jitters. "Broke my wrist while training." I tell him, not looking up from my book. "Training?" He asks me and sits in front of me. "Yeah, training. Are you surprised girls can work out and fight?" I ask him.

"No, of course not. If you haven't notices, I'm a big fan of Foxy." He says and sights. "She once saved me and one of my friends when we were in Starling City." he tells me. Oh. "Tell me."

"Well, Simon and I were just walking on the streets, when a few guys stopped us. It was late, and they started beating us up. Foxy came and fought with them. They were embarrassed that they lost from a girl and ran away." He tells me. I smile when I remember. "Ever since that day, I've loved her work. She's beautiful, strong, has a good heart and fights for what she think's right." he says.

That caught me off guard. I didn't know I had affect like that on people. I never really thought about it.

"She is pretty cool." I tell him and take a sip from my coffee. "So, you box?" He asks me. "Yeah, kinda. I was practising with a friend, but he was too fast, and I fell on my wrist." I tell him. "I didn't see you in the hospital." He tells me.

"Oh, there was someone who's also a doctor." I say to him. "Alright, I have to ask you something. Tonight, I want to tell you and Melanie something. Do you want to join us for dinner?" He asks me. "Oh, yeah. Sure. I'll be there." He nods and stands up. "Nice, I'll see you tonight."

--

"Welcome to C.C.P.D." Barry says to me and Caitlin. "So, this is your day job?" Caitlin looks around. "Wow." "I'm gonna rip out your hearts and eat them for lunch." A guy says before a police officer pushes him away. "Delightful." Caitlin says.

"Kat? What are you doing here?" I hear behind me. "Melanie... Hey..." I say awkwardly. "I'm writing a book about a, uh... a forensic assistant. Barry said I could watch him work here." I lie to her. I hate lying to her. "With one hand?" She asks me, pointing at my broken wrist.

"I'm here to make some notes for her." Caitlin speaks up "Oh, that's cool. I have to go, I'll see you tonight." She tells me. "Yeah..." "You didn't forget that we were going to have dinner, did you?" "No, of course not." I say, again lying.

Time to use my powers.

'I swear, if she'll be later that 7 PM I'll kill her. It's important to Stephan, he said he wanted to tell us something tonight. I wonder what it is, though.'

"I'll be there at 7." I tell her with a fake smile. "Good." She walks away. "Lab rats. I need prints of this gun, pronto." Another cop says and gives Barry a bag with a gun.

"Allen! Where the hell is the fiber analysis on the Orloff case?" A man asks him walking towards us. "Upstairs. It's all finished. I can just run upstairs and bring it down." Barry says and walks to the stairs. "With you, that could be three days. I'll go with you." The man looks at us.

"Who are you?" "Dr. Caitlin Snow, Barry's personal physician. This is my assistant, Katherine Smoak." "Smoak... aren't you an author?" The man asks me. "Yes, but I'm writing a book about this..." With all those lies, I probably have to make a book about this kind of stuff...

We walk into Barry's lab. Barry hands the man a few papers. "The fiber analysis for the Orloff case. Like you asked for, sir." The man looks at it before looking at the lab. "Clean up your lab. It's a mess." He says before leaving.

Barry and Caitlin start working, and I grab one of Barry's science books. "Can I ask you something? That you don't have to answer." Barry asks Caitlin. "My least favourite kind of question. Shoot." She answers.

"Ronnie. What was he like." I look up from the book I'm reading, I don't think that was a smart question. "I mean, you never talk about him that much." "Me met when we were working on the particle accelerator. He was the structural engineer. He liked to joke that he was basically a very high-priced plumber." She smiles. "We were very different. You might've notice that I can be a bit guarded. Ronnie knew how to make me laugh. He used to say we were like fire and ice. He wasn't supposed to be there that night. He was just there for me. If he hadn't..." The computer beeps.

"It says that there was no residue of gas in the tissue. Poisonous or otherwise." She reads out loud. "Must've evaporated. We'll need to get a fresh sample." Barry tells her. "Wait, this can't be right. This says that there are two distinct strands of DNA inside the tissue." Caitlin says looking at Barry's computer. "How did someone else's DNA get inside the victims' lungs?" I ask standing up and looking over their shoulders at the computer.

Barry starts searching for something. "There's no DNA match in the database." He says. "I don't understand. Why would a chemical attack leave behind another person's DNA inside the victim?" Caitlin says. My eyes widen. "What if the metahuman we're looking for doesn't control gas? What if he becomes it?" I ask them.

"Available units, we have a report of a toxic gas attack in the Central City Shopping Mall." A woman says over the radio. "Barry. Don't" Caitlin says when he stands up. "We don't know enough about what we're facing yet. It's not safe." I tell him and grab his wrist. "I have to go." he says before running away. I sight and look at Caitlin.