23. Tricksters

--

I'm humming along with the radio. It's Sunday morning and I'm making breakfast for me and Cisco. "Am I wrong for thinking out the box from where I stay? Am I wrong for saying that I'll choose another way?" I sing softly and hear footsteps.

"Good morning, Sunshine." Cisco says and grins at me. "Okay, no nicknames." I tell him and kiss his cheek. "Alright, what are you making? I'm hungry." He looks over my shoulder. "It's just pancakes, I normally have cereal but lately I've started cooking and baking more." I tell him, and he nods. "That means more food, so that's good." He whispers in my ear and I laugh. "Of course, now sit down, Mr. Ramon, let me make your food." I tell him and push him towards the table.

I finally finish making the pancakes and place two plates on the table. I wait for Cisco's reaction, it's not my first time making pancakes, but I still want to know if he likes them. "These are the best I've ever tasted!" He moans and takes another bite. "Really? Thank you." I say blushing and start on my breakfast too.

"I should eat here more often." Cisco says with his mouthful. "Not if you're going to talk like that." I tell him, and he rolls his eyes. "So, what are we going to do today?" I ask him, and he shrugs. "You tell me, this is your house." I stand up and grab something to drink for both of us.

"I really don't know, I'm bad at deciding what to do." I say to him. "Movie marathon? Picnic? Go to the movies?" Cisco suggests. "I haven't been to the movies in a while." I tell him, and he grins at me. "Now we have to decide which movie we're going to see." He says to me and I groan. "This is going to take a while."

--

"It was a good movie." I say to Cisco when we leave the movie theatre. "Meh." He grabs my hand. "Oh, shut up, you're just mad I won." I tell him, and he laughs. "It was okay, happy?" "Very." I grin at him and we walk across a playground. I smile and watch the children play.

"Do you ever think about having kids?" I blurt out, my eyes widen as soon as it leaves my mouth. Cisco looks a little surprised but nods. "Yes, I love kids and I want a few of my own." Cisco confesses. "A few?" I ask him. "Two, three or four, I don't know. But on the other side, one is good too. I always thought about having more so they won't feel lonely, but I have a brother and look at us, we can't stand each other." He sights.

"That's totally normal, Cisco. When we were younger Felicity and I almost hated each other. Felicity was the smart and brave older sister. I got bad grades and was scared of everything." I tell him, and we sit down on a bench. "Now we're best friends. Maybe you and Dante will be in 10 years, who knows." He sights again.

"Not everyone has a good ending like that, Kat. There are a lot of families who don't see each other anymore. Because of fights and disagreements." I look up at the sky and red parachutes. "What is that?" I point at it. "I don't know." We both stand up. As soon as they're a little closer I can see that they're carrying small boxes.

"What the-" One lands on the ground and it explodes. "Go home, now." Cisco tells me and pushes me away from the playground. "No, I'm-" "Kat, please. I need you to be safe, go home." He squeezes my hand and kisses my cheek. "Please." He begs me, and I nod. "Keep me updated." I see Barry in his Flash suit and run towards home.

--

When I'm home I can't stop worrying. Why can't I just go S.T.A.R. Labs? But I promised Cisco I would stay home. I grab my laptop to write but I suddenly know nothing. I can't focus on anything. I walk towards the kitchen and grab a glass, I fill it with water and drink it. I look outside, you can see smoke in the air, but that's it. It's quiet outside. I walk back to my living room and sit down on the couch.

Maybe Cisco has already texted me that he's alright. I grab my phone but there's no text from Cisco or anyone else at S.T.A.R. Labs.

Maybe a book will help me kill time. I walk to my bedroom and look at the books I've collected the past years. I decide to reread one of my favourites, I'll give you the sun by Jandy Nelson. I relax when I see a new message from Cisco.

Cisco: We're alright. Stay at home.

--

I feel like an overprotective mother or wife. I can't stop thinking about what's happening. I though stopping with this work was better, I guess I still have to get used to it. Like I told Cisco, I found a new hobby: cooking and baking. It's surprisingly relaxing. I turn up the radio and look at one of my mother's recipes. As soon as I told my mother about my new hobby, she emailed me all her favourite recipes.

I'm so focused on cooking that I don't hear the knock on the door. When Cisco walks into the kitchen I sight in relieve before hugging him. "You didn't answer so I walked in, the door was unlocked. You shouldn't keep it unlocked." Cisco tells me and kisses my head.

"Hey, are you alright?" He asks me, and I nod. "I am now, I guess I have to get used to not helping people when there's danger in the city." I tell him and walk back to the stove. "Ooh, you're making food." He follows me and wraps his arms around my waist.

"You don't have to worry about me, Kat. I'm safe at S.T.A.R. Labs." He tells me. "I work there too, remember. Why did you send me home?" I ask him, and he sights. "Kat, I'd--" "And I'm not putting myself in danger, like you said, it's safe at S.T.A.R. Labs." He sits down on a chair but stays silent.

I break my promise to myself and use my powers to read his mind. But instead of reading his mind, I see something. I see Cisco eating, why? I always see him eating, but why do I see it now? When I try to read his mind.

"Kat, are you alright?" Cisco interrupts my thoughts and I nod. "Yeah. Of course, why wouldn't I be." I turn back to the food, making sure it doesn't burn. "I don't know why, Kat. I just had a feeling to send you home instead to S.T.A.R. Labs." He tells me.

"You had a feeling, what do you mean?" "Every time I ask you not to come to S.T.A.R. Labs, I have this feeling to protect you from something, I can't explain it." I turn around again and grab two plates. "So, you don't want me to work at S.T.A.R. Labs? You don't decide where I work, Cisco. You're my boyfriend, not my boss." I hear him sight and feel his breathe against my neck.

"I'm sorry." He whispers in my ear and I turn around. "Alright, if you don't want me to go to S.T.A.R. Labs, if it makes you feel that I'm safer at home, I'll stay at home." I tell him and grab his arm. "Thank you." He kisses my forehead and grabs behind me to grab the plates. "Now, let's eat dinner." He smiles at me.

It's silent when we eat, but it's not an awkward silence. I look up at Cisco and see the exact same thing as I saw when I tried reading his mind, okay that's just weird. "You alright?" Cisco asks me, and I nod. "Yeah, just thinking." I tell him.

"You were staring at me, were you thinking about me?" He smirks, and I laugh. "Yes, and how adorable you look with pasta sauce on your face." I say sarcastically, and he wipes at his cheek, only making it worse. I burst in laughter and he grabs a paper towel. "Not funny." He mutters and sits back down. I grin at him and continue eating. When I look at him again, I can't help but feel happy. I can get used to this.