32. Hungry girl

--

I walk into S.T.A.R. Labs a little late. It's dark and I hear someone grunt. "Caitlin? Cisco?" Suddenly 'Peekaboo' stands in front of me. We start fighting, but I'm a little out of shape. "You have no idea how it is to be in that box. So, I'm going to put you in a box. In the ground." She tells me as she pins me against a wall. Suddenly she falls on the ground and Iris is now standing in front of her. "Iris!" I give her a quick hug.

"Are you okay?" Cisco asks me when we put the meta away. I nod. "Yeah, I will be thanks to Iris." I smile at the girl. "I'm glad you showed up." "How do you think she got out of there?" Iris asks us. "Wells must have released her." Cisco says to us. "Wait a sec. Did you hear that?" Joe asks us. We stay silent. "I checked all the containment cells. Everyone's accounted for." Caitlin tells him. "No, no listen." I hear a voice. "Down here!" "Eddie?" I think out loud.

--

"Wells got away." Barry says when he runs in and pants. "Ah, he was too fast. He's always too fast... Eddie." "We found him under that hatch in the pipeline." Cisco says to him. "I'm so sorry. I thought I looked everywhere for you." Barry tells Eddie. "It's not your fault. Sometimes you just can't see the clues even if they're right in front of you." Eddie says. Hmm, okay... He's acting a little weird, but that's probably because he's been there alone for a long time.

"Um, well, you know, all that's important is that we're all safe and back together, right?" Iris says to Eddie and places a hand on his shoulder and he smiles softly at her. "Eddie, why did he take you?" I ask him. "I don't know. He said that we're family." Eddie tells us. "Said his real name is Eobard Thawne" Joe and I look at Cisco. "Eobard Thawne, just like in my dream." Cisco says. "Did he say anything else?" Joe asks. "I mean, anything that could help us figure out what he's really after?" Eddie shakes his head.

"He didn't say much. Just kept working on some tube." "A tube? What did it look like?" "Metallic and futuristic. He said it was the key to him getting back everything that was taken from him." Eddie explains. "The key? I don't understand. What..." "I don't know. Look, I just wanna go home. Is that okay?" Eddie asks tiredly. "Yes. Of course." I give him a soft smile. "I'll make sure he gets some rest." Iris tells us.

"What do you think Wells was talking about? I mean..." Barry whispers to us. A computer starts beeping. "Oh, no, no, no." Cisco mutters. "What?" We ask him, but Cisco runs away. Barry turns to us. "What now?" He sights. My stomach starts making noises and the all look at me. "Sorry. I haven't had something to eat today." I tell them and grab my coat. "I'm going to get some food."

--

"Are you sure about this, Barry?" I ask him when we walk into 'Saints and Sinners' a cafe for criminals, I think. "We have to, Kat." He sees the person he's looking for, Snart. Said guy turns around and smirks at us. "Well, well, well. If it isn't the Scarlet Speedster. Oh, and you brought your friend, Foxy." "We need to talk." Barry tells him.

"Do you want anything? Beer? Food?" Snart asks us when we walk towards a table. "Pickled eggs here are fantastic." He says to us. "No, I'm good." Barry says but at the same time I say Yes, I'm starving." Barry looks at me weird. "You just ate." I grin at him and he sights.

"Look, we need your help with a problem." Barry says to Snart. "Must be pretty desperate to come asking for my assistance, but I'll bite. What do you need?" He asks us. "Help transporting some people out of the city." Oh, I forgot. The meta-humans needed to go to Lian Yu. "How many?" Snart asks. "Five... Five very bad, very angry people who have powers." Barry tells him. "Powers, hmm? So, you want me to, what, freeze the problem? Protect you from them if anything goes wrong? First rule of business, always protect yourself. I'm not gonna help usher your enemies out of town." Snart says. Barry grabs his arm when he tries to walk away.

"They're not just our enemies, they're yours too." Barry tells him. "I doubt it." "They will destroy Central City." I tell him. "It's not my problem." "You said you love it here. That this is your home." Barry says to him. "I do, and it is." "Well, guess what. These people get loose, there won't be a city to love anymore." I tell Snart. "You won't be able to rob anyone if everybody's dead." I continue. Snart stays silent for a few seconds.

"It's a compelling argument. If I'm gonna help you out, I'll need something in return." Snart walks to a table and starts writing something on paper. "Like what?" I ask him. "This." He shows the paper to Barry. Barry scoffs. "No. This is impossible. I can't do that."

"Then I can't help you." "There has to be-- Snart, there has to be something you want that I can get." Barry sights. "Let me think about it." He says and walk away.

I sight, and we walk to the door. "I never got my food." I mumble, and he shakes his head. "You're so hungry all the time." I shrug. "I've always been a hungry girl."