Prologue

The wind was now reaching hurricane level proportions. It was days away from the month of November, and winter had decided to grace us extremely early. Maya sat on the couch, staring at the snow that was now blowing sideways in a furious white blur. She involuntarily shivered, glad that she was inside rather than out there, wondering why her parents had insisted on moving out in the middle of nowhere, even further from town. She assumed just because her mom loved the countryside. Don't get it wrong, she did too, but it was just a pain traveling from one place to another when it took longer than wanted. Maya saw the headlights of a car flash across the window, announcing that her dad had just returned home from the Association.

"Dad's home!" She shouted, turning to look towards the doorway of the kitchen where the two rooms connected. Her mother appeared, with a spoon in her hand and an irritated look on her face.

"Maya, you're fifteen years old. Please don't shout at me. Get up and come into the kitchen if you need to let me know something." She disappeared back into the kitchen. Maya got up and headed into the atrium when she heard the front door open and then close, and was greeted with a cold waft of air that had taken opportunity to come in after her father.

"Hi Dad!" She said. Dad shrugged off his damp, black peacoat that still had the melting remnants of snowflakes soaking into the fabric, and hung it on a hook, setting his leather briefcase on the bench in the hallway and kicked off his shoes.

"Hey Maya. Where's your mother?"

"In the kitchen. How was work?"

He ruffled her long, brown hair as he walked past her towards the kitchen. "It was busy. By the way, Toga wants you and your brother to go to early morning training at the Association tomorrow."

She couldn't help but groan out loud and follow him. "Again? He put us through training almost every day last month while you two were off on a mission. We're celebrating All Saint's Day tomorrow. Can't you just ask if Dante and I can stay home?"

All Saint's Day, call it Halloween if you want, actually lasted all week for Hunters. It was extended for them to remember their dead, and honor the work that they did in secret that saved a lot of the human race in centuries past. It also was a remembrance of when Hunters first came into existence thousands of years ago. Maya glanced around the living room, seeing the many Halloween related decorations that dotted the kitchen, particularly, a hefty amount of Jack-o-lanterns inside and outside the house. Her mom had insisted on being festive.

"I think you should do what your father says. You'll be turning sixteen soon, and that includes going out on field missions. You need all the practice you can get." Her Mom interjected from her place at the stove. "Speaking of children, where is Kaito?"

Her dad sat down at the table with a tired sigh. "He should be returning late tonight from his field mission. I called him this afternoon and he said he'd be staying at a friends house overnight until it all clears."

Kaito was her nineteen-year-old brother that had been going on missions for the past three years now. They could last a few days up to a couple of months, depending on the situation.

After dinner, she ventured back into the living room, curling up on the couch with a copy of The Autobiography of Isabel Richards. She had been one of the greatest American Vampire Hunters of all time, and she had read the book so many times that the binding was starting to bend more than it should, and the pages were dog-eared so much that some had begun to tear. Maya fell asleep, but jerked awake with a small gasp. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end, and she felt the unmistakable presence of a vampire nearby. The book fell off her lap as she jumped up and grabbed her gun that she'd left on the fireplace mantle earlier that day.

She rushed to the door, yanking it open. A huge blast of wind and snow hit her in the face, making Maya squint out into the darkness to see who was outside. They weren't hard to miss. It was just one woman, standing out in the snow, unbothered by the cold. Her silver/gray hair blew wildly in the wind, cheeks wet with tears. It was a face she would never forget. Shizuka Hiou.

"You noticed me before your parents did." She said, voice full of anguish. "What an attentive Hunter you are..."

"Maya, get back!" Her mom said from behind Maya, her dad grabbed her by the shoulder, pushing her behind him. He was wielding a gun of his own, her mom had something similar to a sword. "What does a Pureblood Vampire want from us!"

"You should know. " The woman stated. "You killed him, you killed my only love! You will pay for what you have done!"

Darkness was the first thing that welcomed Maya back from unconsciousness. Her eyes felt as if bricks were weighing them down. She reached up with a shaking hand, rubbing them with sluggish fingers. Her skin was sticky with an unknown substance. Blinking, Maya looked around, seeing that she was on her side, facing the dormant fireplace.  She rolled onto her back, giving out a gasp as pain shot violently down her right side, stars erupting in front of her eyes as she waited for the pain to pass. Moving around was probably not the best idea.

"Mom? Dad?" She called out, throat feeling like sandpaper. She looked to her right and saw them lying not to far away, in large puddles of blood that had long since dried, soaking into the white carpet. Maya called out their names again, but no response. She felt tears run from the corner of her eyes into her hairline and her heart seemed to shatter in the realization that both parents were dead. She could do nothing except stare at their bodies for hours until exhaustion overtook her once more, listening to the deafening silence and waiting for someone, anyone to find them. 

Author's Note:

Hello, my lovelies! Here's a bit of some background information before you begin reading. I was on this site once before and had this story up and running. I'd had to delete my account along with all of my work. Now it is back, and better than ever. Six years later and this story is finally ready to be read by all of you wonderful, artistic, and inspirational writers.

I appreciate any feedback; Good or Bad. Or just tell me how much you love it (it makes my day:))

There are a few changes in the story. This will follow the Vampire Knight storyline, with a few story arcs here and there. The timeline will be more modern than a post-apocalyptic type setting, but with that P.A feel. (If you guys don't like the modern feel, feel free to let me know and I'll see that I can do.)

Also, this book has sad chapters and themes.

The only thing that belongs to me is my wonderful OC Maya and few others that are soon to be brought to light :)

DISCLAIMER: For this chapter and beyond, Vampire Knight and the characters belongs to the wonderful Matsuri Hino!

Thank you all so very much!