Chapter 24: One Last Gift

The Kuran Manor was quiet, too quiet for Maya's liking. She had been stuck here for a few days now, having no other place to go since she had escaped the Association. Kaname and Yuuki's home was her temporary safe house no matter how much she like the idea, she had no choice. She sat in the living room, staring at Kaname who was sitting across from her.

"You're quiet." He said.

"Thanks for pointing it out bloodsucker, you know why." She replied, keeping her eyes on the book in her hands that she had been skimming with boredom, the words making no sense to her what-so-ever. The novel was something about money management. 

"I don't."

Maya's green eyes raised from the book, pieces of her wavy brown hair falling around her face as she  glared daggers at the boy. "Everyone, including my brother wants my head on a pike because they think I'm a bloodsuckers faithful follower. I have no where else to go, and I'm stuck here until the furnace is ready. I can't wait to see you rip out your heart, I have to say it would have given me more satisfaction if I were the one to do it instead of you."

Kaname said nothing, but the atmosphere in the room was slightly suffocating, not that it affected her much. Having inherited Amara's ability and power, she was affected by threatening presences anymore. She had learned to ignore them. 

"I saw the look on Naomi's face before she died," Maya said. "How can you sleep at night knowing what you've done, and you've had little to no remorse for it? The same goes for Yuuki, she's out there doing who knows what to try and clean up the mess you've created, but you're as stubborn and selfish as ever."

Kaname stood, his body began dissipating in a flurry of bats. "Don't leave if you don't want to get killed."

"Where are you going?"

"It's none of your business, wolf." He replied, then vanished. Maya sighed, pushing away the anxious feeling that tugged at her chest. She knew that he wasn't going to go after Kaito anymore. She had done what he had asked, and had seen the end result of her kill with his own eyes. There had been no trace of their presence anywhere, all because of Tadao, their Heisuke's older brother. 

Maya stood in the office with the four purebloods, she needed to explain what was wrong, but needed to be quick about it. The longer she took to 'kill', the more suspicious Kaname could get.

"Kuran and I met at Cross Academy when it first opened. We hated each other in the beginning, but one night, after a rogue hunter tried to kill him, I saved him and ended up in the hospital. Unknown to me in the beginning, he had visited me while I was in recovery and gave me his blood-"

"What?!" Exclaimed Heisuke, seeming enraged.

"Quiet." Ordered Jurou, Heisuke bit his tongue. "Please continue..."

"He said that it had been a show of gratitude, to help me heal faster. Of course I didn't believe him, but it had helped me get better and soon I was back at the school, helping teach classes and such. Then I began getting headaches, visions of the past of people I didn't know, but it all made sense when I woke up."

"Woke up?" Tadao asked. 

Maya nodded, shifting weight to one foot. "I'm sure that you are well aware that Kaname Kuran is an Ancestor." She saw them nod. "He is also going to become the new 'Parent' of the furnace that is almost finished being built. In order to protect himself, and have help, he awoke another Ancestor in order to help him fulfill that goal..." She paused. Geez, what were they going to think of her when she confessed who she really was.

"...You..." Heisuke answered for her. 

Maya gave a single nod, tight-lipped. "Amara Takamiya was and is a true blood relative of Kaname Kuran. Amara...me...promised to help him fulfill that goal before they both were put to rest. Our sister was the one who sacrificed herself to be the flesh that the humans devoured to help defend themselves. The drawback of my awakening was that Kuran was now my master. I cannot kill him, or bring him harm. I am his pawn until he has no use for me anymore, and has done more than enough to break me. His orders were absolute when he told me to kill you, and I had to because he threatened to kill Kaito, my only brother."

They had seemed to take it rather well, but were a bit wary to the mention that she was an Ancestor. Maya called Kaien, and told her that she needed a safe house for the Tanaka family as soon as possible. She knew she would have lots of explaining to do after this was all over, but at least she had gained a few friends back. 

Maya sighed, closing the book and throwing it on the opposite couch before lying down, staring up at the textured ceiling and felt like she might go insane. She did not know how Yuuki managed to spend an entire year in this house without going outside once before being introduced back into society. 

Meow

Maya shot into a sitting position, had she heard right? There was no way that the Kuran's owned any sort of pet, especially a cat. The meow came again and she stood, finding an ginger tabby cat with white toes sitting on the other side of the table on the floor, blue eyes stared up at her with happy greetings. There was no scent on it, other than it smelled like...well like a cat, but she knew immediately who that cat belonged to. She could feel it.

"Heisuke?" The cat jumped into her arms when she crouched down, and Maya hugged it, feeling the purrs vibrate through his chest. He'd come to give her company, knowing she hated being alone. She sat back on the couch, Heisuke still in her arms and waited until Kaname came to retrieve her.

________________________________________________________________________

"You look like hell..." She said, walking with Kaname down a corridor towards the room that held the furnace, deep underneath the Hunter Association. Kaname was splattered with some blood and dust, with a tired and un-lively expression on his face. She'd protected him as they entered the Association, preventing vampires or hunters from hurting the pureblood. Kaname didn't reply to Maya's observant comment, and continued walking. They entered the furnace room. Maya saw that a flight of small stone steps that led to the fire itself, which had an opening in the tall cylinder. 

Kaname stopped, staring at the orange glow that emanated from within. "Once my essence is transferred into the furnace, you will no longer be under my control. You're free to do as you wish."

Despite all that Kaname had done, she could feel Amara inside her feel a pang of sadness. He was her brother after all. "That's a relief. Are you sure you want to do this? A lot of people don't want you to, y'know."

"Don't you?"

"I never said I didn't." She replied. "Yuuki is going to be devastated."

"Yes, I believe she will be. But I promised Naomi that I would succeed her. I doubt she would be happy if I let what she created die out." Kaname said, making his way up towards the furnace. Maya followed on her own will, climbing the steps with him to stand in front of the blaze that heated the room. "Maya?"

She turned her head, looking at him. "Yes?"

"I might as well redeem myself and pay for the sins I've committed, and a few of them were towards you..."

"I know that."

"When I awoke you, Amara's immortality also transferred. This will give you a chance to get the life that you deserved. I know that you and Taro didn't get to have the best life because of our brother Raiden, but now I am giving you that chance with Heisuke, or with anyone who you choose."

Maya's eyes widened. He knew. He knew she didn't kill them. "Her...immortality? Kaname! I don't-"

"Please, Maya. I want you to have a happy life and so that Yuuki can be safe. You are her sister too... It's a gift, and I know you won't hate me for it. Use that immortal side of yourself to do something better than what I did."

Maya lowered her head, bangs shield her expression. This little conversation was the first civil one they'd had in months, and it was when Kaname was about to sacrifice himself. She wished that she could rewind the clock, and for her and Kaname to start over again. If Rido had not killed the real brother of Yuuki, things may have turned out a lot different. Maybe they could have been good friends. "You're an idiot, you stupid bloodsucker. I'll never forgive you for anything you've done."

"That's fine..." She felt his hand on her head as Kaname ruffled her hair. "Now get going, dog."

Maya moved away from his hand, giving him one last sideways look before going back down the steps and walking away without a second glance. 

Author's Note: Just one more chapter *sniffsniff*