Chapter 23: Help

The air in the cell was cold and slightly damp. Maya was still curled up in a ball, having not eaten for the past two days despite what the Association willingly provided. She could feel the building shake and rumble and could sense Kaname's presence. Something was obviously going on in the floors above, but she didn't care, she was stuck in this stupid cell. Maya had already tried to break out, but the bars of the cell were blessed and cracked painfully under her touch, and she had had to stop when the pain became unbearable as she'd pulled.

She had sensed Sara's arrival to the  Hunter Association, her presence hid in one of the protected rooms on the first floor of the Association. Kaname would kill him sooner or later, it was pure fact. Sara had come for the protection of the Hunters, but Maya knew that he would be able to get inside, even if there were obstacles in his way. This was his chance to fulfill his duty and replace Naomi, who still resided in the furnace, waiting for a chance to rest. 

A resounding boom shook the building, much more violent than the rest. It made her jump and Maya turned human, getting back on her feet. That presence... 

She gripped the bars and pulled, not caring about the amount of damage it was currently doing to her skin. It could heal in a short amount of time anyway. She tapped into Amara's power, after having the feeling of desperate urgency of the Ancestor who wanted to see her sister again and Maya couldn't help but feel the same way. The metal bar she was pulling shrieked and cracked under the pressure and finally broke, nearly causing her to fall backward. She squeezed through the bigger space and ran up the stone steps, taking them two by two. The ruckus was not on the main floor, but on the flat rooftop five stories up, so she ran as fast as she could, careful to keep from tripping because her hands were still currently healing, the blood slowly drying on her hands. She reached the roof, seeing Naomi, floating a few feet in the air, tendrils of what looked like sand stretched out, grabbing hold of weapons.

Kaien was there, Yagari, Zero, Yuuki, Kaito, and Kaname were there too. Everyone besides Kaname was staring at the Hooded Woman in fear and surprise.

"You've...already done your best. Ten thousand years is sufficient, so...please rest." Said Kaname. "I will succeed you."

Maya ran forward, stopping just short of Kaname. "Naomi..." She said, her voice trembling. If these were the only moments she would have, the feelings and presence of Amara swelled with gratitude and love. A shimmer of happiness cause Maya to take a step forward and away from Kaname, not wanting to be near him. The sand-like tendrils wrapped around her waist and an arm, holding her still, or embracing her, Maya couldn't tell. She knew that Naomi could sense Amara's awakened essence inside of Maya. 

"Maya...what..." Kaien said. She paid no mind to anyone else as Naomi approached, sinking down to her level, her green eyes mirroring Maya's and she marveled at the similarities that they physically shared. Naomi looked from her to Kaname without saying a word, and Maya knew that she knew what Kaname had done to her. A look of deep disappointment crossed the woman's features as she turned her gaze to Kaname, who calmly looked back at her as if not fazed by the fact that he had belittled Amara's kin, and had used her to fulfill his selfish wishes.

Naomi turned back Maya, raising a hand to brush the back of her cheek, and then wrapped her in a one-armed hug. Maya was struck, not believing that she was having physical contact with her ancestral sister so-to-speak. Her eyes pooled with tears, and with her free arm, hugged the floating pureblood and buried her face in the other's shoulder. The embrace lasted mere seconds before Naomi pulled back, giving a kind kiss on Maya's forehead, and placed a hand on her cheek. Maya could see her skin began to crack, a sign that her time as the progenitor's life was coming to an end. 

"Please...don't leave me, too," Maya stated, words trembling. Naomi placed a hand over Maya's heart.

"I am here," Naomi said. Maya was startled at hearing her voice in person. A tendril of sand rose from the depths of the Hunter Association, and in it was Bloody Fang. It carried it over to Maya and she took it in her hands. "And here..." She looked down at the gun.  Maya had seen weapons being destroyed as she ran through the main entry hall of the building, being destroyed one by one. By Naomi had spared her weapon, why? "You are a good girl, Amara. I love you, sister."