Chapter 11: What Really Happened

Maya stared at Kaien, who was holding out a paper for her to look at. 

"What is it?"

"An entrance request to attend the Academy. I already asked Zero who approved. But I wanted your approval as well, seeing that you two were good friends."

Maya raised an eyebrow, curious as to who exactly this "friend" was, and took the paper from his grasp, scanning the letter over until she got to the bottom with the said person's name. 

"Ichiru?" Maya was stunned. "He's..."

"Alive, yes." Kaien's gaze was intense as he stared at Maya, gauging her reaction. "You seem less surprised than I'd expected, Maya-chan."

Maya's reaction had even surprised herself. She thought the news would have been more shocking, life-changing, even. "I did some digging before I was suspended from the Association. Ichiru wasn't found at the scene, so I assume he was alive, even though he was presumed dead because there was a lack of any trace to go off of. How is Zero taking this?"

"He signed the paper, but you took it a lot better than he did."

Maya set the paper on the desk and bent over, scratching her signature on the extra line with a pen before handing it back to Kaien. She caught Kaien's gaze, which was full of curiosity. She knew what question he was going to ask, and allowed him to ask it anyway, giving him permission with an expectant raise of an eyebrow.

"What happened the day before yesterday?" He questioned. "You looked like you were on the verge of death when Kaname-kun carried you to his place."

"I wasn't feeling well."

"You could have gone to the infirmary, we have a nurse who knows-"

"Kaien." Maya leaned over the desk, placing her hands flat against the smooth wood, her emerald eyes dead serious. "What happened that night, has nothing to do with you. Information will reveal itself in due course. Need to know basis, only."

Kaien sighed. "And I don't need to know this."

"Yes." She said, shaking her head in confirmation. "You don't, Kaien."

"Call me father!" He whined.

Maya snorted, standing up straight once more. "Fat chance, old man."

__________________________________________________________

Maya leaned back against a tall tree, eyes surveying the grounds after switch-over in the morning.  Classes for the day class wouldn't start for another thirty minutes, allowing her a little peace and quiet. The air was chillier than usual, a sign that Fall had become a permanent resident and Winter would soon follow. 

She put her cigarette up to her mouth, inhaling, and then blew out a cloud of smoke, closing her eyes. She'd taken up smoking the occasional cigarette to relieve stress, but she wasn't an addict like Yagari was. Given the circumstance, she had little to worry about. With a direwolves ability to heal from anything besides a purebloods bite, there was no risk in the act of smoking for her. Her lungs would heal up almost immediately. 

But of course, peace never lasted in her presence. She cracked open an eye when she heard footsteps approach.  For a split second, she thought it was Zero, but her wolf senses didn't detect a vampire's presence.

"Ichiru." Maya greeted nonchalantly. 

"Maya-chan." Ichiru returned with a smile. His long hair was pulled back into a short pony-tail but a red ribbon with a bell that had belonged to that woman. Ichiru was dressed in a pristine Day Class Uniform, everything looking well put together on him, unlike Zero's usual ruffled appearance. "I didn't think you were one to smoke."