Chapter 10: Family Ties

Maya blinked, gaze finding an unfamiliar pale-white ceiling. Memories, feelings, power, flowed into her. But, something stirred inside of her, something new. It was difficult to describe. She still felt like the same person, but Amara's thoughts and feelings were full of awe and wonder and the new body they now dwelt in. Instead of feeling like Maya had lived twenty-one years, it felt as if she had lived hundreds of them, seeing everything in a new light. Maya was still Maya, but...not.

An understanding. That's the emotion she had been trying to describe. Maya sat up, running a hand down her face, a humorless smile adorning her face. So, she was Amara's reincarnation, her doppelganger. A piece used in the great game for Kaname's sake, just so that he could fulfill his duty. It was out of love that Amara had done any of this, and Maya was sure she would have done the same if Kaito was in need of help. She understood Kaname far better than she'd ever had before. A lot of things that he had kept in the dark were now laid bare for her to see, and only she would understand most of them. Sitting up, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed.

"Maya?"

Maya turned to look at the figure sitting at the edge of the bed, face illuminated by the soft glow of the sunrise that came through the window. A deep feeling of joy overwhelmed her and words she never expected to say slipped from her lips. "Onii-sama." Big brother. Despite him being younger than her, she still used an older suffix, knowing that he was wiser than a child and definitely more mature than one. 

Maya was no means related to this person, but Amara's memories and feelings interfered with her judgment despite her trying to fight it. So she accepted it, even though knowing it would be hard to do so. Two personalities clashing, past and her reality, old knowledge and new. Her emotions were everywhere.

Kaname stood, walking over to her and knelt before her on the plush carpet. Without warning, he leaned towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist, fingers clutching the back of her gray pea-coat with reprieve and his head buried against her shoulder. Maya sat there, frozen momentarily at his actions, before raising her arms to envelope him, one hand gently holding the back of his head.

"Kaname...I understand." She whispered, resting her cheek against his head. "I understand my part in all of this. You knew I was Amara's reincarnation, didn't you? That is why you gave me your blood so that I would ease into the transformation to gain her memories and power. But...I wished you would have just told me. That way, I wouldn't have been so confused."

Maya felt as if she was holding a child, her hand gently running through the soft strands of his hair. 

"I didn't want to do drive you away. You wouldn't have believed me, and your hatred towards me would rise."

"I may have hated you, in the beginning, Kaname. But I realized that you weren't at fault for what happened to my family. And besides, you and I had a mutual understanding of one another." Maya clutched Kaname tighter. "But, I am going to have a difficult time adjusting to the fact that you are my..."brother" in a sense... it's just weird. Considering the fact that you are a pureblood vampire, and I am a whole other species, yet we are related."

"We came from the same mother, but we were all born different." He replied, she felt him pull away and Maya let him go so that he could lean back to look at her. "We were the start of all this..." Kaname stood, pulling Maya with him. 

"I know..." She glanced out of Kaname's bedroom window. "I should get going. Kaien is probably worried stiff that I'm not at his house for breakfast."

"It's almost nighttime," said Kaname. "You've been out for almost a day."

Maya rubbed her forehead, blinking. "It felt like minutes...was I really out that long?"

"Anything like that can take a toll on someone," Kaname said. "Are you leaving?"

"I should." Maya began to head towards the door, but Kaname blocked her before her hand could touch the door handle. 

"You must not tell anyone about this, Maya. It could result in serious consequences. Keep your aura dampened, and-"

"Kaname." She stopped him with a look. "I know that this is just between us, so please, little brother, don't worry about me."

Maya stepped around Kaname and opened the door to his study. "I'll come by after classes are finished tomorrow. You and I have a lot to discuss." She did as she was told, pulling in her more powerful aura as to not arouse suspicion in the other vampires, or Zero on the Academy grounds. Kaname followed Maya down the hall and to the front doors of the Moon Dorms, past some vampires who had stayed up rather late, all of them were those she recognized almost immediately. 

"Are you willing to go into town tomorrow? We can discuss these matters over a meal, perhaps." He asked her. Maya smiled and nodded, totally ignoring the looks the Night Class was giving her.

"That sounds great."

"I'll send Seiren to get you when it's time."

"I'll be waiting. Thank you, Kaname."

He opened the door for her and she stepped out, hearing the wood behind her close with a low thud. 

Maya made her way back towards Kaien's home, hands stuffed in her coat pockets, thoughts moving a million miles an hour. Finally getting to the house after the sun had set, she clambered up the stairs to the kitchen when she smelled dinner cooking. She found Kaien, Zero, and Yuuki all crowded in the kitchen.

"Maya!" Yuuki was the first to jump on her and Maya chuckled. 

"Goodness, I didn't die! I just had some business with Kaname, that's all."

"That lasted for a day?" Zero snarled from the corner, looking livid.

"Yes."

"About what?"

"Absolutely none of your business, as I said before," Maya replied, gently pushing Yuuki away. "I'm tired, so I'm going to bed."

"You're not hungry, Maya-chan?" Kaien asked, giving her yet another puppy dog look.

"No." Maya turned and left Kaien's home. She'd only stopped by to let them see that she was alright. Maya wasn't tired in the least bit, having felt like she had slept for days.  After the events that she had dreamed, there was no way she would be getting any sleep tonight. 

Note: This was a short chapter, but I was too hyped to wait any longer and wanted to put something out for you guys. 

Disclaimer: All rights go to the wonderful Matsuri Hino!