Chapter 4 Part 2: ...And to Save the Ones We Don't

The daily routine was yet again, the same. Get up, do patrol, control the switch-over, go to class, get some sleep, and then stay up late to make sure no one got hurt. The only saving grace was Kaito who occasionally called or sent a letter to see how she was doing. 

Her, Yuuki and Zero were out on patrol again tonight, a few days after the incident. Zero walked in front of them down one of the stone paths.

"Are you feeling alright after what happened?" Maya asked Yuuki quietly, turning her head to look down at Yuuki who was half a head shorter than her. 

"I'm fine actually! I was shocked at first but, now that I know what Zero is I'm going to try an help in any way I can!" She said happily.

A small smile graced Maya's lips as she turned to stare at the path ahead of them. You and me both, she thought. 

A snap of a twig caused everyone to freeze, followed by a click of a gun and a flash of silver and dark grey. She turned her head from side to side, seeing Aidou and Akutsuki, two members of the night class and both were faithful friends to Kuran. Maya had her gun pointed at Akutsuki's face.

"Aidou, Akutsuki! What are you doing here?" Yuuki asked, having her silver rod, Artemis inches away from Aidou's face. Both of the vampires stood with their hands in their uniform pockets.

"We came to guide you to the  Moon Dorms. Takuma invited you three to be there, so I wouldn't say no if I were you." Akutsuki's voice dripped with boredom, facial expression showing it even more. Maya lowered her gun, causing the flame-haired man to look at her. "Especially you, Maya-sama."

Again with the suffix, irritation poked at her shoulder but she ignored it. "Please don't call me that." All three of them followed to the Moon Dorms, heading around them to a back patio that was flush with a few tables with edible treats and a few gifts. There were a lot of vampires in the area, making the hairs on the back of Maya's neck from the close proximity. She spotted Kuran sitting on a large sofa that was perched on a low veranda with stairs leading up to it. A fountain on the other end of the patio was spouting water, not so loud that it drowned out any surrounding noise, it was pleasant. 

Takuma popped up next to them, causing Maya to flinch. "You came!"

"We were forced..." She muttered under her breathe only loud enough for Zero to hear. Glancing in his direction, she saw the smallest hint of a smile grace his lips before vanishing. Most of the Night Class students took notice of their arrival but soon turned their attention away. 

Maya disliked standing on the patio, feeling like the center of attention, so she wandered over and leaned against the railing that led up the stairs towards Kuran, crossing her arms.

She could hear Yuuki begin to ask Ichijou about a Level E that he had killed. From what she had told Maya, Zero and her had gone on errands, and Yuuki had almost been attacked by a Level E, and Zero had been there to save her, as had Takuma and Senri. 

"Because I ordered them to." Came Kuran's voice. Maya looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, the turned her head and watched Zero stiffly march up the steps to face the pureblood.

"It's the Association's job to get rid of Level E's. Not yours," He growled. 

"I did it as a precaution," Kuran answered. A precaution, for what reason? "Yuuki, please come up and join me."

Yuuki silently did as she was told, blushing as she sat down next to him. He seemed to like her a lot, and that reason was one Maya still had to find the answer to. 

"Does, your wound still hurt?" He asked Yuuki, gesturing to her arm.

"Not really...anymore," Yuuki replied.