Chapter 9: The Awakening

Note: Possibly, the next chapter could also be a flashback, but this chapter may be the only one to do so. I've been so excited to finally write these chapters, it's making me all giddy. Enjoy!

Please comment and let me know what you like about the story so far. It really helps to know what people like and dislike and if any changes need to be made!

______________________________________________

Kaname POV:

"Kaname-kun! What is the meaning of this!" Exclaimed Kaien, staring at him. Kaname adjusted his grip on the unconscious girl in his arms. He had just arrived with Akatsuki and Takuma back on campus, having to inform the Headmaster of the circumstances.

"I need to keep her with me until she awakens," Kaname replied. Maya stirred in his arms, a pained expression crossing her face. Her breathing was shallow. "Please, do not interfere. This is a delicate matter, and I expect you to keep your distance."

Kaien brow furrowed. "What did you do, Kaname-kun?"

"In due time, I'm sure an educated man like yourself may fully come to understand. But for now, do not get in my way." Kaname made sure that this statement held firm finality, keeping eye contact with Kaien until he turned away. 

Kaname walked back to the Moon Dorms.

"Kaname-sama. What do you plan on doing with that girl?"

Kaname didn't answer, spotting Seiren once they reached the Moon Dormitory. Her grey eyes stared expectantly at him. "Seiren, guard the door. I don't want anyone to enter my room."

"Yes, sir." She replied, bowing to him as he passed, a hand laying over her heart. Kaname went to his room, ignoring the looks the other Night Class members gave him and shut the door behind him with a telekinetic push. He laid Maya down on the bed, brushing her hair away from her face and sat down on the edge of the mattress.

__________________________________

 Maya POV:

Flashback

Maya opened her eyes and found herself walking up a mud-covered hillside towards a small home that rested at the top of the hill next to a hooded woman. She could see candlelight burning in one of the small square windows shining through the glass. Her boots gracefully picked their way through the mud and rocks on the road, cloak shielding her face from the harsh wind that blew across the open plain. 

Down below in the valley, she could hear the talk and laughter of the people in the village below, their lights going out one by one as the night firmly set in. She could see, smell and hear everything, the senses almost overpowered by it, but she didn't really seem to care. Her focus was clearly on house. 

The woman reached out and pushed open the front door without knocking

"Taro?"  Maya was shocked by the fact that the voiced sounded just like her own. The woman reached up, pushing the hood away from her face, looking around the room. 

Maya gasped. It was her. It was Maya, but a bit older. What...what was going on.

"Taro?" She followed the woman back outside and around to the rear of the house where she could hear someone shuffling about. "Taro!" There was a note of slight panic that entered her tone. 

A man was hunkered over something, sitting on the ground. He looked up at the sound of Maya's...well, the woman's voice. "Amara, I'm right here. There's no need to panic." The man had ginger, wild hair and kind, dark blue eyes that stood out against his pale skin.