Chapter 13: And So It Began

Yuuki clutched her head, knees pulled up to her chest. She was shaking, and Maya could tell it was from fear. She had come to get Yuuki after she didn't come down for patrol at the right time, and Maya got worried. She had gone to her room and opened the door, finding Yuuki still asleep. Just as Maya had been about to wake her up, Yuuki had jerked awake with a scared gasp.

Maya placed a hand on her shoulder, sitting on the edge of the bed next to her adopted sister. "Yuuki, what's the matter?"

"It's nothing, just a bad dream."

"It's not nothing, don't lie to me. Zero's told me that you've passed out in class this last week. What's keeping you from getting sleep?" Maya said, squeezing her shoulder. "Please tell me."

"When I remember my past...I have nightmares, and illusions of blood everywhere." She confessed, flinching at a memory. "I'm so scared. I want it to stop!" There was a small hiccup of a cry that escaped the smaller girl on the bed and she buried her head in her knees. Maya let out a sound of pity and wrapped her arms around Yuuki, resting her chin on the younger girls head, eyes staring out the window. "I want to know...what happened in my past."

"It's going to be okay, Yuuki. I promise." Maya had been caught up in her own problems that she had not seen the pain that Yuuki was going through. This girl hid her pain behind a smile, every day, just so that no one would fuss or worry about her. It was the tactic opposite of Maya's, who pushed everyone away and lashed out at people to prevent them from getting close. 

Everyone has their own way of protecting others from their demons, she thought morbidly. 

______________________________________________

She told Yuuki to stay in bed the rest of the day to get some more rest, saying that she would take notes for Yuuki for the upcoming exams, tests, etc. Once the Night Class was on their way to the dorms from class, she did patrol. 

Maya wandered the grounds, pulling a cigarette out to smoke. She was tense after being so near to Kaname during the switch-over, and this was one of the only ways she was going to calm down and not kill him; contrary to the fact that she couldn't which made her even angrier. "Conniving bastard." She mumbled under her breath as she walked through the treeline. 

She spotted Ichiru walking along the sidewalks of campus alone and marched after him. "Ichiru!" Zero's twin brother stopped, turning to watch and wait for her to approach.  "Shouldn't you be getting to class?" She asked, standing next to him.

"I'm tired of the lessons they have to teach, the school is so boring."

A frown tugged at the corner of her lips. "I thought you'd say something like that." She breathed in the nicotine and pushed out a white cloud above their heads. "So what exactly are you doing here? Zero told me that the Senate seems to have taken you under their wing for some reason."

"Does my bloodsucking brother tell you everything?" He asked, shoving his hands in his uniform pockets with a look of utter disgust. 

"We are best friends, Ich. The stuff between friends should be shared, even if one party member disagrees with the idea. He's worried about you, y'know."

"He always is."

A sudden presence brushed over her senses, making her flinch. It was dark, powerful, but almost undetectable and not one that she recognized. It came from a place near the Moon Dorms.

"Get to class." She stated and began to walk off before turning back to him. "Ichiru."

He stopped but didn't turn back to look.

"Whatever you're doing. I suggest you stop. It's for your own good." Ichiru didn't say a word but continued to walk back towards the campus buildings. Maya let out a heavy sigh, rotating the cigarette around in her fingers as she walked towards the Moon Dorms to investigate. Asato Ichio's face popped up in her mind and her concern grew.  Why had Ichiru decided to serve them? It was insane. 

She ventured over towards the Moon Dorms, seeing Takuma and Shiki standing in the treeline just outside the gates. Takuma looked too nervous and uncomfortable. It was weird to see him this way, especially since she was used to his ever cheery self. 

His green eyes caught sight of her and his a smile immediately materialized on his face, but it was guarded. He approached me, leaving Shiki to stand by himself. 

"Takuma, you two should be inside. The last thing I want to do is herd crazy teenagers back to the dorms." Maya told him, her tone staying casual even though the atmosphere was tense.

"Sorry, Maya-sa-" He saw the look she gave him and corrected himself. "-Maya. Shiki and I were just discussing something. I promise we won't be out here for much longer."

Maya raised her cigarette to gesture towards Shiki, keeping her voice low. "Is everything alright?" She cared for the blond vampire even though she would never admit it aloud. Maya had developed sort of a soft spot for him and considered him a close acquaintance, but not a friend just yet. He was a rare being indeed, such a happy-go-lucky soul.

"Ichijou, who is this lovely bird you're talking to?" asked Shiki, rather coolly, strolling over with his hands in his pockets. Maya looked at Shiki as he approached, eyes widening as he drew near. One eye was red, the other a startling blue, totally unlike the cool uncaring dull blue that she had come to see almost every day during switch-over and when she subbed for Yagari's class. Where had she seen those eyes before?

Shiki stopped next to Takuma, his gaze level with hers. "Pray, what is your name, little bird?"

"This is Maya Takamiya, Senri. You know her, she subs for the classes we take."

"Please don't make me sound dumb, Ichijou. It's rather annoying." Shiki leaned in and sniffed, a devilish smirk adorning his lips. "You smell like Kaname..."

"Excuse me?" Maya demanded, feeling violated.

"What did the head of the infamous dire-wolf clan do to get themselves trapped under his thumb?" A chuckle escaped the Aristocrat vampire. 

Maya went to pull her gun, but Takuma's firm hand clamped down on her wrist. 

Takuma turned to Shiki. "You need to go to your room."

"Ordering me around now, are you?" Shiki asked, a dangerous glint flashing across his steady gaze.

Takuma flinched ever so slightly. "I'm sorry. Senri, please, do as I ask."

Shiki sighed. "Since you asked nicely this time." He turned and strode off towards the gates of the Moon Dorms. 

Takuma let go of her wrist, looking extremely apologetic. "I'm really sorry about that." 

"What's wrong with him?" Maya asked, rather shook up by the interaction.

"I'll deal with it. Please don't worry."

"But, Takuma-"

"Maya!" He stated abruptly, cutting her off. Maya relented and watched Takuma walked off.

What the heck was going on?!

Author's Note: I'm back. I hope this chapter went okay and it makes sense. I'll probably go back later and flesh it out if needed or if I get too many complaints or questions. The next chapter should clear up any confusion!

Disclaimer: All rights go to the wonderful Matsuri Hino!