Chapter 19: Close Call

(This is a massive chapter, please bear with me here.)

"Takamiya!"

Both Kaito and Maya turned at the mention of their name. They had just finished doing some research for Kaien in the Archives and had not stepped twenty feet out of the door before they were called. 

"Yeah?" They both answered simultaneously. Maya saw that the running hunter was carrying a letter in his hand.

"I just received this from President Cross. He want's both of you on this mission as soon as possible." said the boy, Misaki. Kaito took the letter from him and ripped it open, scanning it before growling and Maya snatched it out of his hands to take a look.

"Are all of these Level E's on the execution list?" Maya asked, eyebrows furrowing in concern. There was about fifteen names on this list. "How in the ever-loving-blazes are the two of us supposed to take down this many. We may be skilled but we aren't god."

"You won't be alone. Cross is allowing a team to go with you, the two of you are in charge," replied Misaki, pulling another list from his back pocket. "Here are the Hunters who are going to go with you. You may want to give them a head's up."

Maya and Kaito looked at each other before her brother agreed. "Alright, we'll do it."

________________________________________________

"Where is it that we're going?" asked Zero, who sat in the passenger seat of her car. Three more hunters sat quietly in the back, weapons in their laps.

"Black Forest, it's where they believe the swarm is," Maya replied, foot pushing down on the accelerator and set the car at an even faster pace as she drove through the sloped, curving hillside.

Once glance in the rearview mirror told Maya that the other three hunters were nervous. "You're not scared are you?"

One of them snorted. "No."

"Everything will be fine, as long as we stick together." She replied, dismissing the lie that fell from their lips.  Checking her side view mirror, seeing a sleek black SUV and a familiar Mustang on her tail, she turned off the highway and onto an exit, then traveled south for another thirty miles before pulling off onto a dirt road for another few minutes, then parked in a clear. Maya got out and popped the trunk, pulling out a silver case. She unhooked the latches and opened it to reveal several ear-pieces. "Take one and put it in your ear. We'll need these in case things get a bit dicey."

Maya put one in her own ear, turning to her brother and Yagari who had gotten out of the Mustang. Then glanced at a familiar face who was the last to hop out of the SUV, Kei, Daisuke's younger brother who was barely fifteen.

"Cross is an idiot for making me have a responsibility for a kid." Grumbled Maya. Despite her irritated appearance, inwardly, she was a nervous wreck. Kei had volunteered to go on this dangerous mission, and Kaien had the balls to put him on this one that was overseen by her. If anything were to happen to him...

"Yo, you ready boss?" asked Ryuka, one of the hunters on the team.

"Yeah, come on everyone." As they walked, she gave instructions. " I want a quick and out of this thing. Stick together.  If you find something or someone, don't go shooting your gun off like an idiot. Tap your mic. Any questions?"

No one said a word. "Good. It's almost dusk so keep an ear out."

They took off at a jog, hoping to reach a safe-point by nightfall. Black forest was well...black. There had been a massive forest fire and nothing had ever grown back, leaving little to no protection if they were spotted. They reached a small rocky outcrop and built a fire. Most of the men had passed out after a long run, exhausted. But, Maya was still on full alert, standing off to one side in her wolf form. Her ears rotated back and forth, watching the darkness with her sharp eyes, nose inhaling every breeze that blew past.