Chapter 18: Reminiscence

(Yes I know that's Akatsuki, but that what Heisuke looks like too :) *referring to picture*. And here's a little mood music. This soundtrack is just too great. Agreed? )

Isaya-sama and Maya danced for a while until a voice stopped them mid-step.

"Shoto-sama. If I may, can I steal Takamiya-sama for a short moment?"

Maya's eyes widened at the ginger-haired figure standing before them. 

"Tanaka-sama, of course!" He turned to Maya. "That is, if you don't mind, my lady."

Maya wanted to mind, she really did but the opposite escaped her lips. "I don't." Heisuke's hands replaced Isaya's and soon she was back to dancing.

"Last time we met, you looked like you were going to kill me." He said.

"I still might," Maya said brazenly. Her hand rested lightly on his right arm, feeling the soft fabric underneath her fingers, her other was intertwined with his left. 

"Pity, I wouldn't want to be the one to ruin a beautiful dress." He replied, a joking grin on his lips. 

Maya's brow furrowed. "What did you really want to talk to me about?" They moved towards the center of the room, half-mindedly keeping pace with the music.

"What do you mean?" He asked rather innocently. 

"You obviously didn't just come over here to say hi. What do you want?"

"All I want is to dance with a beautiful woman, no status or politics in the way. Is that too much to ask?"

"No." replied Maya, her voice softening just a little. 

"I'm glad." He stated, dark blue eyes twinkling. 

"I'm glad."

The voice in her head made Maya almost flinch. That's when a memory appeared in her mind without a hint of warning.

"Glad for what?" Amara said from her seat at the small wooden table in their home. It was midday and Amara had just returned from the market down in the valley below. 

Taro was sitting near the fire, staring at the flickering flames as the wind gently ratted the windows. "For being able to be with you."

"Well, I'd hope so,"  Amara replied. "I am the only good thing in your life." She giggled when Taro approached her and planted a kiss on her lips.

"Yes, indeed." He crouched down resting his hands on her knees to balance himself on his toes. His eyes became forlorn as he gazed up at Amara.

"Why that expression?" She said softly, running a gentle thumb over the crease between his brows to try and smooth it out but to no avail could she erase it. 

"It's just you and me now, love. Doesn't that unnerve you? Our families are gone, and the people who love and look up to you are now going out on their own. You've taught them well." He dipped his head, forehead resting on her knees.

We've taught them well." She corrected. Her hands set down the wooden figurine of a wolf that someone had hand-carved her, it was no bigger than her palm and placed her hands on his cheeks after she had pulled his chin up to look at her. "Now it is time for us to finally have peace."

"Are you sure?" He questioned. He held a hand over one of hers and nuzzled her palm affectionately. 

"Yes, dear," said Amara.