Chapter 22: Fault

(Some good ambiance. Man I love this soundtrack with all my heart. Play it at 0.75 speed and put in a loop cause this story is kinda long, ahaha.)

"Surely you can do something to get me out of this apartment?" She asked. Her phone was on speaker mode, set beside the stove top where a pan of chicken boiled frivolously. The wolf part of her wanted it raw, and the human part of her didn't want the taste of uncooked meat in her mouth for the rest of the day.

"Maya, I understand that you're stressed out. But Kaien's word is his own. Even I can't disobey."

She stared in irritation at the mobile device. "You're my brother, surely blood comes before duty unless that's not the way you see it." She angrily poked a finger at the END CALL button, watching the name and face of her brother disappear. Maya had been stuck inside this apartment for two months now, she was losing precious time that she needed to fulfill her duties. Her brother's life was on the line, as well as Heisuke and his family. Maya could not imagine the look of betrayal on any of their faces if Kaname was the one to finish them off, nor could she imagine the look if she were the one to pull the trigger. 

"You're not doing what I asked." Said a voice. Maya jumped, totally caught off guard and spun around to see Kaname who was standing in the middle of the kitchen behind her.

"I can't get two steps out the door without getting chased like a target in a fox hunt," Maya replied, turning her attention back to her chicken. "I've tried to call you and tell you I couldn't but you've been busy."

"What would you like me to do, then?" He replied. By the tone of his voice, she could tell that he knew she'd called, but had decided to make her suffer instead. It made her blood boil. 

"Get. Me. Out." She punctuated.  "The ball is tonight. Sara will be there, and you can leave her to do whatever is necessary in order for her to come to me, then we can continue the plan in whatever way you want."

"What about the Tanaka's?"

Her hand didn't still as she stirred the chicken in the pan to prevent any from burning. "What about them?"

"Remember, I want them all gone."

"Isn't one just enough?" She glanced at him, seeing a suspicious look pass through his wine-colored eyes.

"Are you wishing for them to stay alive?"

No," She replied quickly. "Of course not. Its just...vampire society may fall apart without someone to look up to, for someone to maintain the others as to not start another war."

Kaname stepped up to her side. "Then, maybe the war will do the rest of the world some good." The pureblood next to her gave her an expectant look. "After the ball, and after Sara's death, you can carry out your duty. I will persuade Cross to let you go free."

"How is he going to believe you?"

Kaname said nothing and vanished into thin air. There was no scent, or trace that he had even been there. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Maya stared down at Bloody Fang, the dark grey gun that lay gently in her grasp. She recalled the memory of Amara, her ancestor, carrying it around with her, along with the memory of Naomi. Oh, how Maya wished she could speak with her now. Naomi seemed to be the only person who knew how to fix this whole mess. She was buried deep underground, the power that drove the Hunter Association, the one person who made the weapons, all pieces of her.