Chapter 12 Part 1: Not So Happy Birthday

"What?!"

The sound of the restaurant seemed to mute. 

"You did what?" She repeated, the noise slowly rising back to normal in her ears.  She leaned forward, eyes blazing a bright gold. "Go ahead and repeat what you just said to me. Go on."

"I...was the one who released her, Maya. I did it to help fulfill my plan."

Maya was trembling, she clenched her hands in her lap to try and stop the tremors. "PLAN?" She stated, louder than necessary, drawing the attention of several nearby tables. On the verge of crying, she leaped up from the table, grabbing her jacket and marched out the door. Her heels clicked fiercely along the sidewalk as she left Kaname behind, finding herself in a nearby desolate park that would have been filled with families if it were the daytime. 

She stopped near a park bench and began pacing, staring up at the star-filled sky, breath coming in pained gasped as she tried to stop a sob that threatened to build up inside her. 

"Maya."

Maya whipped around, seeing Kaname standing there.

"Why did you release her!" She demanded. "How could you do such a thing when you knew that she was mentally insane!"

"I did it to ensure that she would kill the head of the Kiryuu family. To use the twins as hateful weapons to destroy every pureblood, fulfilling Naomi's wish to eradicate them all."

"My family, Kuran. My family  was also murdered because of your selfish desires." She snarled. 

"I did not anticipate your parents to go-"

"Shut up! Shut your mouth!" Maya spat, tears finally escaping her eyes. "I spent years trying to uncover the truth behind my parents and Zero's parent's murder. And all this time, it was some 10,000-year-old prick whose selfish desires ruined peoples lives. Living right underneath my goddamn nose."

She was ready for his attack, yanking out Bloody Fang from inside her coat pocket just as he grabbed her throat. She had the barrel of her gun pressed against the underside of his chin, the bullet would take a direct path to his brain. 

"Go ahead, pull that trigger, Takamiya. You won't be able to."

Maya's finger trembled on the trigger, but she found that she couldn't despite how badly she wanted to. "What..."

"I gave you my blood. I woke up Amara's essence and memory inside you, therefore I am your master. A slave cannot kill a master." He snarled, blazing red eyes staring at her gold ones. "Do not think of going against me, or I will kill you, blood relation and history be damned."

Maya jerked away from his grasp, keeping her gun trained on him. "Get...get the hell out of my sight, bloodsucker." She managed to say, despite stuttering from heightened shock. Kaname disappeared in a flurry of bats, leaving her alone. Maya lowered her gun, putting it back in the inside pocket of her pea-coat. A sob escaped her lips, gripping her head in her hands and let out a strangled yell of grief, falling back onto the bench. She hunched over, breathing heavily. 

Kuran had killed her parents, all because of some stupid vendetta. He had ruined her life forever, and she was now his pawn, another piece in the game. One that would probably be used up and thrown away just like Zero's parents. In the light of the nearby streetlamp, she could see wet dots on the pavement from the tears that had fallen off her cheeks. This hurt, it hurt so bad. The pain was worse than when she had found out Daisuke had died. It stretched her heartstrings dangerously close to the breaking point. 

A pureblood presence brushed her heightened senses, the said person was too close for comfort.

"Kuran, I swear I will rip your throat out! I told you to leave me alone!" Maya snarled loudly.