Chapter 12 Part 2: Not So Happy Birthday

She held the wine glass in her hand, staring at the pureblood across the table from her at the booth they shared. 

"What's your story?" Heisuke asked.

"Why should I tell you? I hardly know you." She replied, setting down the glass when she saw that her hands were still shaking, either from the lingering adrenaline or anger. 

"And yet you agreed to have a drink with me." He stated, taking a sip of his own wine, from which she could smell the subtle hint of blood  He was right, she did. For no other reason except for the fact that she didn't want to see Kaname. 

"Probably because I know you're going to end up using me for your selfish benefits. Don't worry, everyone else has." She said, a bitter smile appearing on her lips. "Or maybe because you lied to me and watched the entire confrontation, and want to extract information to help you with whatever you're doing." She kept her eyes trained on her wine glass. 

"What if I told you that I knew Kuran-sama planned to kill you if I'd walked away and that I knew this because I have the power of precognition," Heisuke said. "I can see the future."

Maya mulled it over for a moment, looking up to stare at his face. Purebloods could possess a multitude of abilities. "Is that why you knew where I was...when you came out of nowhere, I mean."

Heisuke nodded. "I may respect the Kuran family and have their same ideals, but I don't particularly care for them. What I saw in the future didn't end pleasantly for you."

Maya felt slightly sick. "Please don't tell me what he planned to do, I'd rather go on not knowing..." She knew that Kaname was dangerous, but why would he kill her so quickly. Didn't he need her, other than to be his "sister" to help him achieve his goal? "What other reason did you have in saving my life, it obviously wasn't because you didn't want me dead."

"I've seen you before."

Maya snorted, taking a sip of her win, eyebrows raising slightly at the taste, it was delicious.  "In person? Or in one of your magical precognitive thoughts?"

He nodded at the second one. "I've seen you in my future."

"Lovely." There wasn't much to say after that, and the rest of the time it was small talk about odd topics, nothing personal. Maya glanced down at her watch, seeing that it was now close to 6 a.m. 

"Expected somewhere else?" Heisuke asked. Maya nodded, standing and slipping her coat back on.

"Do you mind...giving me a ride?" She asked. "That is if you have nowhere else to be."

Heisuke stood, shrugging his coat back on over his broad shoulders. "I'd be happy to. Where's home?" he pulled out his wallet and threw a hefty tip on the table.

"Cross Academy."

Heisuke looked from her to the empty wine glass on the table, then back at her. He looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown. "Are you a minor?"

The statement caused an unsuspected laugh to burst from her lips. "What no! I'm twenty-one! I'm all done with schooling, I'm just there because I have to be."

He relaxed. "Are you telling the truth?"

"You would know." She replied, making a mention of his ability.

"I know the future, I'm not telepathic."

This made her smile. They walked out from the restaurant just as the first few rays of daylight broke over the city, and got into a car. Giving him directions, he finally pulled up to the ascending staircase. She thanked him and opened the door, but stopped with one foot out.

Maya turned back to him, voice as firm and serious as stone. "I just want you to know, this little interaction between us is as far as this relationship is going to go. It doesn't mean we're friends. I'll give you some friendly advice...stay away from me."

"Why should I do that?"

"Everyone I get close to ends up dead. You'd be wise enough to do what I ask if you want to stay alive." Maya got out of the car and slammed the door shut. 

The passenger side window slid down. "The least you can do after I saved your life and you treat me like I'm lower than dirt is to give me your name, Ms. Hunter."

Maya bent over, placing her hands on the car windowsill. "Takamiya, Maya. Have a good rest of your day, Mr. Tanaka."

She walked up the stairs, not bothering to turn around when she heard the sound of retreating tires on gravel and let herself into the closed gate with a key that Kaien had given her. The campus was still desolate of students, low fog rolling across the grounds with the occasional bird breaking the peaceful silence with their songs.

Her wolf senses picked up the smell of breakfast, and her stomach snarled hungrily in response. She hadn't eaten anything since early yesterday evening, and her stomach was now full of alcohol. She only felt slightly tipsy, seeing that her wolf body was already trying to get rid of the irritating substance. 

Entering Kaien's home, she stumbled into the kitchen. Kaien turned around when he heard her heels on the wood floor. 

"Maya!" Kaien dropped everything and hugged her fiercely. "Where have you been! I saw Kaname-kun come back without you."

At the mention of Kaname's name, she had to hold back a snarl that threatened to escape her chest. That monster.

"I got a ride back...I just...wanted to stay out for a while." She managed. Maya was emotionally and physically exhausted. "I'm gonna go lie down for a bit, I'm tired." Maya sluggishly pulled away from her adoptive father and trudged into the living room, giving a relieved sigh when she finally slipped off her heels and laid down on the couch, staring at the back of the couch after curling up into a ball. 

She was just about to fall asleep when her cell rang. And then Kaien walked in, holding in his hand. She took it from him, waiting for Kaien to walk out of the room before answering. "Hello?"

"Happy Birthday, little sis! I was wondering if you wanted to meet me. I get off of work early this afternoon, lunch is on me. What do you say?"

Maya sniffed, throat suddenly tightening. She squeezed her eyes shut, holding tears at bay. Turning, she glanced at the calendar on the wall. November 12, which was today, Saturday. 

"Maya?"

Her attention was jerked back to the line as she turned back over, answering quickly, but didn't forget to keep her voice light and happy. "That sounds amazing. Call me when you get here, alright?"

"I will, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, yeah! Everything is fine, I'm just tired. I'll see you this afternoon, okay?"

"Got it! See you soon."

Maya ended the call, feeling a single tear run from the corner of her eye on to the pillow underneath her head. Happy Birthday to me, she thought. 

Author Note: 

Part 2 is finished. There won't be any more updates for a couple of days, I'm going to give my brain a break to reboot and refresh my ideas. Hopefully, it won't be more than a few days. School is overpowering my life. 

Disclaimer: All rights go to the wonderful Matsuri Hino!