Chapter 5: An Unobtainable Life

Kaien drove her home from the hospital later that day, the sky filled with a million colors as the sun began to set. 

"Yagari and I are taking Zero and Yuuki to look at some files for her in the Association tomorrow. Do you want to come with? You'll be able to see Daisuke."

Maya sucked in a breathe sharply, mood turning dark. "Don't. Ever. Bring that up."

"I just thought-"

"Don't!" She snapped, feeling the abyss in her heart deepen considerably. Kaien remained quiet, but the damage had been done. Work and school had distracted her thoughts almost to the point of success, but with recent events and with Kaien's suggestion, it made her want to cry. There was an emotional ache that added to the pain she already felt. Her throat tightened, holding back tears of anguish. 

Daisuke had been her boyfriend for the past three years, he was also a dire-wolf like herself and a great hunter. It had gone great in the beginning, everything had seemed to be working out perfectly until he'd been bitten about ten months ago. If a dire-wolf was bitten by a pureblood vampire, it causes them immense pain. Their bones reform, forcing them to go through the change and it couldn't be stopped. They would black out and attack people, even loved ones, and they would snap out of it and realize what they had done. The end result would have them die, choking on their own blood. 

Maya had seen it happen at least once, and she couldn't believe it had happened to her boyfriend. He was currently locked in the secures cells of the Association, isolated and drugged into a stupor. If there had been a cure, the hunters would have let him out a long time ago, but there wasn't one. Bitten dire-wolves were highly dangerous to the populace with their uncontrollable changes and mood swings which left them to be kept under lock and key, away from their family and their loved ones. The process until death was over a year. It had only been about 

She'd seen him at least once every couple of weeks for the past year, or whenever time allowed. It had been almost two months since she had seen him last and wondered if he was still there anymore. Mentally there.

Once they reached Cross Academy, she got out of the car and stalked off before Kaien could say anything else to her. The smell of soup was drifting through the air, and she followed it to Kaien's home, going up to the kitchen to see Zero standing in front the stove, stirring a pot of soup.

"Ze!"

"Hey, Maya. Back from the hospital already?" He asked, turning to her with his lilac eyes shining with questions.

"Yeah, they said I healed quicker than normal, still a little sore though. I thought Yagari had you locked up?" She said, sitting down at the kitchen table gingerly. She kept her voice light, not wanting Zero to think that she was angry at him, which she wasn't. It helped distract her from thinking about Daisuke. Zero turned off the burner, fetching a couple of spoons and bowls before dishing them some food and setting it down on the table. She blew on a spoonful before sipping it, eyes widening with awe. "This is good! I didn't know you could cook!"

They sat there slurping away, Maya ignored Kaien when he entered and relaxed when he left. 

Zero set his spoon down in his now empty bowl with a clatter. "Why did you do it?"

"What?"

"Why did you protect Kuran?"

Maya's attention was on her bowl, pushing the remains of the broth around the bottom of it. "I don't know...I just...I hate purebloods. What that woman did wasn't his fault, but it doesn't mean that I hate him. I just don't like him. Besides, it's not about me. I was thinking of the bigger picture. What do you think would happen if a Hunter had killed a pureblood vampire, the uproar would be chaotic, then another war would start. Would you want that?"