Chapter 15: Survive and Prevail

Maya jogged across the grounds, trying to follow the scent of Yuuki who had wandered away from her original location after Kaname had given Maya orders to stand guard outside the room while he left to do other business.

She ran into Kaien and Yagari, who was walking across the grounds away from a secluded building.

"Maya, what are you doing out here?" Kaien asked. Maya stopped just short of them, eyes trained to her adoptive father. he no longer wore his regular goofy outfit but had on an old hunter coat, his sandy hair down out of his usual ponytail and glasses gone. He was also carrying a sword.

"I'm looking for...nevermind. What are you two doing out here? I thought Zero would be with you?"

"He's currently locked up in a cell, President's orders." gruffed Yagari.

"Locked up? What do you mean locked up! Do you really think that's a good idea? We need him, we need everyone to help protect this school." She replied, sensing a large number of Level E's approaching the main gates. 

"Kaname-kun and the Night Class are on our side. That's more than enough."

"Is it?" She asked, doubtful. Turning on her heal marched off.

"Maya!" 

She stopped, turning around to look back at Kaien and Yagari.

"Where are you going?" questioned Kaien.

"You worry about you, father," Maya stated, smiling a little and continued on her way. 

_______________________________________

An omniscient presence looked on the stone bridge that spanned between the campus and the Moon dorms, as did a large number of Level E's and Aristocrat vampires alike. It set Maya on edge, causing the wolf inside her go let out a guttural growl.  

She ran up towards the bridge after hearing a startled, almost pained cry from Yuuki and jumped up on the stone railing, going around the dormant pile of bodies, seeing Rido in his true body, holding Yuuki in place by what looked and smelled to be whip-like structures of blood. Some of the Night Class students were there, but they had been trapped in place, unable to move by what looked to be restraints made from black smoke. 

Without hesitating she pushed off with her feet and flung herself in into the air, directing herself towards Rido's turned back. In midair, she phased, willing her body to turn into its other true form. A massive white wolf replaced her human figure.

She opened her jaws, revealing two rows of sharp fangs and clamped down on the shoulder of the unsuspecting pureblood. He cried out, whipping around to try and dislodge her, and she used that momentum to propel him away from Yuuki, letting go of his shoulder at the right moment. He flew back, landing on the pile of bodies he had so graciously placed.

Maya landed on all fours, partially over Yuuki, whose restraints had disappeared the moment that Maya had attacked. 

"Ohhh, look. Finally appearing in your true form. What a good dog you are." Rido purred, standing and holding his shoulder. Maya snarled, baring her blood covered fangs at the pureblood. "You took my prize away from me..."

"May...Maya!" gasped Yuuki, realizing who Maya was, she knew she could sense it. 

"Well then, come and get me." He said the malicious intent was full in the vampire's gaze. A greedy smile accompanied it. Maya complied, nails digging into the stone as she ran forward, ready to hurt this pureblood once more.

Suddenly, a mass of what looked like vines with thorns enveloped Rido, Maya skid to a stop, watching as the vines and Rido disappear into the forest. The only thing that remained was destroyed stone, a large pile of dust from the dead Level E's. Maya turned human, spitting the blood from her mouth and wiping the rest of it off with the cuff of her coat sleeve.