Chapter 6: What He Holds Dear

"It was this morning...."

"No...NO!" She shouted into the receiver, dropping the phone and grabbed Kaien's car keys as she sprinted out of the door. 

The tires smoked as she spun into the parking lot of the Association, taking a 180 into an empty space a the end of the row. She jumped out, not bothering to lock it and raced inside, shoving past the guards and running inside. She shoved passed other hunters who turned to look after her as she ran towards the hallway that descended towards the cell. Kaito came from the hallway and grabbed her.

"Maya, don't."

"Let me go!" She shouted. 

"Stop!" He hugged her, preventing her from running down that hallway. 

"LET ME GO!" She roared. The wolf part of her snarled and snapped against the bars of the cage that threatened to break. She caught a glimpse of the President making his way towards the archives. "I'm going to kill him, let me go!" Kaito began to drag her back towards the front doors as she protested, letting out a true animalistic snarl in the Presidents direction. Everyone was staring at the two of them as Kaito was finally able to drag her out.

"You need to CALM DOWN." He hissed in her ear, arms like steel bars to prevent her from escaping. 

"I want to see Daisuke!" Maya protested.

"He's gone, Maya. They've disposed of the body. I am not letting you take one step in there until you control your wolf side."

Her body was trembling, shaking with such an intensity that it may have looked as if she had just been pulled from an ice bath. The wolf inside her was still vicious and unsated, it wanted blood. She wanted blood. 

What seemed like a few minutes, had taken only seconds before Maya had stopped shaking, anger no longer lingered, only anguish. Her legs gave out. Kaito, who still had a firm hold on her, had slid to the cement with her. She bent forward, sobs ripping from her chest. Her brother's arms, once restraints, pulled her into a comforting embrace.

"I don't...don't understand..." She choked out. "Why...why does this...always happen t-to me!" Burying her face in her brother's coat collar, she clung to him. "We were supposed to...be getting married!"

Kaito didn't say anything and she was glad he didn't. Silence is what she wanted, what she craved. She had broken a promise to Daisuke. Maya never broke her promises. All she could think about was him and what his final moments would have been, and she could feel the disappointment, it was palpable in the air. "I'd promised I'd see him. I promised I'd be the one to kill him." 

"I know..." She heard Kaito say, slowly rocking her from side to side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maya leaned against a tree, arms crossed, staring at the trees across the path from where she stood. Yagari had asked her to sub for him tonight to teach Ethics to the Night Class. Kaien encouraged it when she wanted to refuse, saying that it would be good to get some practice in teaching after she'd graduated with a major in teaching, and she'd done nothing with it since. Besides, having done nothing for the past four days after the news of Daisuke's death, it was time to get back into the swing of things. Work was good for grief. Nothing was going to bring him back, and it didn't feel good to sit in that hole, thinking about him constantly when she knew there was no point. He was gone for good, but that didn't mean that it didn't hurt like crazy.

The sound of approaching footsteps gently shook her from her thoughts. Glancing left, she saw the Night Class heading towards the main campus building for classes. As they passed, she caught Kuran's attention. "Kuran, do you have a minute? I need to speak with you."