Chapter 2: Conflicting Thoughts

"Maya! I thought you said you'd be ready!" Her brother yelled from downstairs. She huffed, glancing one last time at her twenty-one year old self in her vanity mirror one last time before grabbing her suitcase, purse, coat, and shoes and went down the stairs quickly but carefully.

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Calm yourself!" She yelled and walked to the atrium, throwing the suitcase at her brother. He was taking her to Cross Academy, and since she'd be staying, they agreed that he would keep the car until further notice, and that also included the motorcycle.

He caught it with a grunt. "Jeez, what's in here?"

"A dead body." Maya quipped.

"Haha, very funny." He said, leaving the front door open when he went outside, while she slipped on her shoes, coat, and purse under one arm.

They were silent most of the car ride, not really having anything to talk about until they pulled off on a paved road and up to a long set of stone stairs that ascended up a hill around 4 p.m.. Getting out, Kaito pulled her suitcase from the trunk and handed it to over, giving her a one-armed hug.

"Hey, you be careful alright? Don't let those bloodsuckers get out of line. You have your gun don't you?"

Maya patted her purse and nodded. "I will. You be careful too."

She watched as Kaito drove away, giving a short goodbye honk before heading back the way they'd come. Maya released a heavy sigh, and ascended the staircase with belongings in tow. Getting to the top of the stairs, she was greeted by a small stone archway and tall pointed metal fences as far as the eye could see in either direction before they disappeared into the trees.

Kaien Cross was standing there at the open gate as if he'd timed her arrival perfectly, along with a young girl she had to live with as a step-sister of sorts, Yuuki Cross.

"Maya-chan! You came when I asked!" He cried, running forward to tackle her with a hug. She stepped aside, watching him fall to the ground.

"You'd just have someone come and drag me here by my toes if I protested." She said.

Kaien chuckled. "Follow me, and I'll fill you in on the way." We walked onto campus, and he pointed to a brown brick building at the center of campus, at least three stories high, and long. "This is the Lecture Hall where all the classes will be held for the Day Class and the Night Class."

 He then pointed to two dorms, both far apart from each other on each side of campus. The 'Moon Dorms' as Kaien put it, housed the vampires, the 'Sun Dorms' held the regular students. However, she almost laughed, seeing the irony in the situation. The Moon Dorms were made of white brick, while the Sun Dorms were dark brick. From the far distance they were from the moon dorms, she noticed a tall white wall with heavy wooden doors as a gate protecting the building.

"Your room number is 301 in the girl's dorm. Single bed, I didn't think you wanted a roommate.I remember you telling me! " Yuuki told her, handing over a key to the bedroom with a large smile that Maya didn't return. 

"You thought correct," Maya replied, stomach growling rather loudly, announcing that she had yet to eat today. 

Kaien smiled, gesturing over to a small two-story building off to the side, nestled in some trees. "Come over for dinner when you're ready to eat."

He walked off and Maya made her way towards the girl's side of the sun dorms,  and she was rather pleased with the fact that he had placed her on the top floor so that there would be no obnoxious foot stomping above to drive her insane the rest of the year. Opening the door, she found that it contained a small twin-sized bed against the wall, plain grey sheets already on it, a nightstand, one dresser with a full bathroom containing a shower, and vanity. Not feeling the slightest urge to unpack, she threw her things on the bed, closing and locking the door with the key she had been given and then made her way towards Kaien's small home.