Chapter 20: A Deal With The Devil

To know: Present/ Flashback

She watched her brother pour his coffee into a mug as she sat on a bar stool at the island in his apartment, her elbows leaning on the faux marble. 

"Why'd you request to drive back alone with him? You took way longer than necessary to get back." Kaito said. 

"We stopped to take a smoke break. I needed to question him about what happened yesterday."

"You can't smoke and drive?" He teased.

"I don't like the car smelling like cigarettes." She replied, slowly sipping her coffee, causing him to snort in disbelief.

"I doubt that. Kaien thinks you two are a couple."

Maya choked, nearly spitting her coffee all over the counter. "We are not a couple!" She snarled. 

Kaito raised an eyebrow as she ripped off a paper towel from the ring and wiped what she had spilled. "What's with that reaction? Did you do something with him?"

"NO! I told you, we just talked. He said that he knew something was the matter and came to investigate. He probably suspected Kuran was going to do something like this and was making sure nothing bad happened as a result." Maya rattled out and hid her anxious expression behind another sip of coffee. 

"And nothing did," Kaito replied. "He seemed particularly concerned about you...almost as if he cared about you."

Maya caught herself before spitting out another mouthful of coffee, hiding her surprise behind the mug. "Is that so?"

"Do you think he does? I highly doubt that the bloodsucker would come all the way out there just to rescue a few random hunters."

She shrugged. "I don't know how in the heck I managed to get him to like me, all I've been is sour and cruel to him. If he were any other pureblood, I'd be in the ground."

Kaito snorted and wandered over to the living room, sitting down on the couch with a tired groan before flipping the TV to a sports channel and leaving her to sit there alone, her mind wandering back to that particular conversation between her and the pureblood. 

Maya leaned up against the side of the car after pulling off to the side of the road, taking a cigarette out of her pack and lit it with her lighter. Heisuke stood a few feet away.

"What did your little gift show you this time?" asked Maya, not looking at him.

"I saw your friends die." 

"Which ones?" She asked. "Was it one of the three that already died?"

He nodded. "I saw you too. I thought you would be dead too, but I saw that wasn't the case when you appeared after two hours."

Maya stilled ever-so-slightly, wondering if he'd had a premonition of her conversation with Kaname but it didn't seem like it. She was sure that if he had seen it, he would bring it up at the right opportunity. A part of her was nervous, knowing not when that moment would come and she knew she would have to tread with extra care. "You shouldn't interfere with the Hunter Association and their business. I'm sure that what you saw is what could have been, not what was going to happen."

"My visions are absolute. There are no 'guesses' as you so implied." Heisuke said, leaning weight on one foot. 

"Oh?" Maya took a long drag of the cigarette, watching the white smoke escape her lips, a stark contrast in color given the black forest around them. "I remember the first time we met, you said that you saw me in one of your visions. What was I doing?"