Chapter 1: Five Years Later

Disclaimer: Vampire Knight belongs to Matsuri Hino 

The rain beat against the protective visor attached to her helmet in a fine mist. She leaned to the right, knee almost touching the ground as the turn was taken more sharply than necessary and much to fast for anyone to be comfortable with.  Maya punched the throttle with the turned straightened out, pushing 95 in a 50 zone. The trees were nothing but a dark grey blur, yellow lines on the road a faded splash of color that stood out from the gloom, giving silent direction towards her destination. 

Maya looked at her brother, astonished. "You don't want me to do anything about it?"

Kaito looked put out. "Maya, you cannot keep doing this. It's useless to track down a ghost."

"Are you saying you won't help me find That Woman? That murderous bloodsucker that killed our parents?" She snorted. "I'm beginning to think you would still be doing nothing if all three of us had died that night. 'Putting it in the past' as you so graciously suggested."

She began to descend a hill, lights of the city just over the next one and pushed the motorcycle faster.

"That vampire hasn't been seen after that. No one knows where she is. Don't forget that I helped you try to find her, but everything led to a dead end." Kaito replied. "It's been five years and you're becoming obsessed with it. Everyone is worried about you, Maya, so I suggest you drop it."

Maya slowed down significantly after going over the second hill when she entered the city limits. Her gaze landed on the cathedral-like spires of the Association near the edge of the half-crumbled city. She ached to weave through the heavy traffic that plagued the streets on what seemed like a daily basis, but having already collected two, rather expensive tickets already this week she decided to obey the law. She arrived at the Association, now feeling more anxious and irritated then she had this morning, thinking of the conversation she had had with her older brother earlier last week. A part of her felt satisfied, it being that Kaito had left on another mission for three weeks just yesterday. He wouldn't be here to bother her. 

Water splashed up as she trudged along the half-flooded sidewalk, making her way towards the huge oak door that was guarded by two other hunters. Pulling back the left sleeve of her grey peacoat, she revealed a unique triangular tattoo on the inside of her wrist, a symbol for the Hunter's Association, stopping in front of the men to let them see. They let Maya in with a nod.

Entering a large atrium, she walked straight through to another set of doors that would lead her to the Archives, a vast library of books, files, and records, all in writing. Nothing was electronic, at least,  in the archives. Any hacker could uncover the information despite the God-proof firewall they had. 

The Archives were seemingly empty besides a few tables which were occupied by Hunters who were filling out Mission Reports together before handing them over to the President of the Association for inspection before storing it away. Maya glanced up towards the second floor, finding the corner she usually used to be empty. Jogging up the stairs, she passed thousands of books, binders, and documentation all in numerical or alphabetical order. The small table she used had two bulletin boards and were soon filled with pictures, information, and her parent's Hunter's report from five years ago, including material on vampires that she just found to be useful; even if it was just for a side note. 

Sometimes, she would sit or stand for hours, looking through information to try and piece things together, but some of it still didn't make any sense. Maya bit the end of her pencil in concentration. Shizuka Hiou was a Pureblood and who had been locked away since birth, preventing any real communication from the outside world. This was odd. Who could have let her out of wherever she had been staying at the time?  The Hiou line had a history of going berserk, or mentally insane. The Senate, head counsel for the vampire race, had placed her in this isolation for her own good and for the safety of others. But, the questioned still remained; Who had let her go, and why had she attacked her family?

"You killed my only love! You will pay for what you have done!"

Maya sighed, rubbed her forehead with a hand to try and push away the memories of that night but the face of her parent's murderer was glued to the forefront of her thoughts. She sat there for another hour and a half, going over the same information over and over again until she thought she would go crazy.

"Maya."

She sat up, having put her head down to try and get rid of a tension headache that had formed behind her eyes. It was Kaien Cross, a famous Vampire Hunter that had lived for over 200 years, also her adoptive father. He'd taken her and Kaito under his protection, seeing as no other relatives were in this part of the world, all to busy performing their duties as Hunters rather than take their own kin to raise them.  She rubbed her eyes, sitting back in her chair with a sigh, not making eye contact with the 'Fangless Vampire' across from her at the table.

"I think it's time you took a break from all of this." He said in a serious tone, the click on the table from his glasses he'd removed. 

Maya resisted the urge to roll her eyes into her skull. "My brother already gave me that lecture. I don't need it from you." She mumbled under her breath, eyes staring at the paper covered table. 

"I want you to come and stay at Cross Academy with me. I need your help." He said. She looked at him, raising an eyebrow, a bit surprised by this request. Cross Academy was a school separate from the town near what seemed like the middle of nowhere, but not as far away where it could be considered isolated. Kaien Cross had partnered with a pureblood on this matter as rumors had told. It was a place where vampires and humans would be able to co-exist, to create a craved peace between the two species, including Hunters. 

"Does attending this 'treaty of friendship' require me to take classes? You do realize that Hunters get paid killing vampires and not from sitting in an office cubicle all day." Maya said.

"For some hunters its that way. You won't just be taking classes. You will be in charge of keeping the humans separated from the vampires, to help keep the vampires safe from exposing their identities and to keep the peace." He said, smiling. "I know you're more than capable, Maya. You were a straight A student and graduated college in two years-"

"I know, Cross. You don't need to tell me stuff I know I've already done."

Cross's brow furrowed, but he didn't perdure his compliments. Instead, he stood, the legs of his chair scraping against the stone floor and stuffed his hands in his tan coat pockets after placing his glasses back on his face. "I want you at the Academy the first week in August. Don't be late."

I know that Cross is a bit more serious in this chapter. Don't worry, that weird man we all know and love will be in the next one ;)

Also, this chapter is short. They will get longer, I promise.