Chapter 21: Collared

Maya pulled up to the Kuran Manor and exited her car, casually walking up to the front door. It opened before she could knock, revealing Kaname.

"Kuran." She greeted.

"Takamiya. Follow me." He said. They went to a private study, where she saw him sit down behind a dark mahogany desk. "Have you done what I've instructed?"

She nodded. "I am now at the Tanaka's disposal. Once they get comfortable with me, I'll do as you've instructed."

"How long until that happens?"

"Not long," Maya replied, staying standing. She hoped that this was a quick visit, not wanting to stay too long. She was supposed to visit the Tanaka's again, this time for dinner.

"I have another job for you?"

"What exactly would that be?" She asked, furrowing her brow. "I'm already trying to not raise suspicion by constantly showing up here, the Tanaka's, and my lack of time at the Association."

"This isn't an immediate request, but I want you to draw Sara Shirabuka to the Association when possible. She's already under suspicion for conspiring to start problems between purebloods."

Maya nodded. "I know about her, the Association isn't too happy about it either. They have Aidou trapped there for questioning. The last thing Hunters want is for this to turn into another war. What do you want me to do with her once I get her inside the Association?"

"You let me deal with that. I'm afraid that war has already begun, and it will only escalate until the furnace is finished."

Maya snorted, lips adorned with a humorless smile. "I doubt that. What one person starts can affect hundreds of others for a long time."

The door to the study burst opened without any warning. 

"Yuuki!" Kaname said, angry. 

"I'm...I'm sorry, Kaname onii-sama, I just smelled..." She said. Maya turned slightly. She was in a pale blue dress, wearing white pin-heels. 

"Hello, Yuuki," Maya said with a small smile. She'd honestly missed her adoptive sister, and hadn't seen her in several months. Whenever Kaname had told Maya to come over, Yuuki was busy with her studies or kept in her room. She hadn't been introduced to society yet, but Maya was sure that she would be at the upcoming Social Ball this Winter. 

"Maya!" exclaimed Yuuki. She ran up and hugged her. Maya rubbed the top of her head, then separated herself from the younger girl. 

"I'll be going now," Maya said.

"Remember what we discussed," Kaname said. Maya nodded, giving a goodbye wave to Yuuki before leaving. 

Maya drove to the end of the drive and turned onto the main road that led away from their house, but was stopped by a prison van who swerved to her side of the road, causing her tires to smoke as she braked, having been going over the speed limit. She stared at the van with wide eyes and then bit her lip when she saw the person behind the wheel and knew she was in for a world of hurt. 

___________________________________________________________________________

She stood in the Association President's office in front of the large desk which Kaien was sitting. Yagari was leaning against the edge of the desk, cigarette burning and his one blue eye blazing with anger. Maya's head was slightly bowed, her bangs covering her eyes to avoid looking at either of her caretakers in the eye.

"Maya...would you care to tell us about the phone call I received yesterday? It was from a Jurou Tanaka. He told me that he was grateful to have a Hunter working for him to further co-existence and peace. Apparently, you've been working with him for several weeks without the Association's consent, or mine for that matter. He also mentioned that you saved his life from someone who tried to kill him, which led to this agreement between the two of you. Is this true?"