Ed's Rest

A week passes and Ed is getting physically better, but mentally, he masks it like he always has.

Ed's POV

I haven't slept in days, but I plaster a fake smile so no one can think I'm useless, I pack up my stuff yawning causing my eyes to water a little.

"Brother, you need to rest, maybe before we go back to central you can spend a day or two-"

"No." I look back at al and smile tiredly, "I'm fine".

Roy walks in and sighs his arms crossed, "Al, we both know he'll more than likely sleep on the train back to central," he chuckles softly, "he always does."

I look and glare as best I can at Roy, I'm so sleepy I end up looked cute instead of intimidating, "you don't know that," I grab my bag and walk past them, "hmph"

Al's POV
As brother walks off I go up to mustang, I speak quietly, "he hasn't slept in 3 days and barely eaten for 2"

Roy frowns at this, "I'll take care of it, I'm not going to be giving you two a mission until this whole thing passes over, I don't want him getting himself killed out there."

I nod, "I understand, and I know you care deeply about my brother."

Roy looks flustered by this, "well of course he's my subordinate, I'm supposed to it's my job,"

"You know what I mean mustang, just don't hurt him. He's all I've got left okay? I can tell he has feelings for you as well, he hasn't directly told me anything but I know my brother and I know how he feels"

Roy is red and covers his mouth trying to play this off as if it didn't bother him, he clears his throat, "thank you Alphonse, we should get going, we'll miss our train."

-Time Skip-

Roy's POV

They've been on the train for 2 hours and Fullmetal still hasn't given in to sleep, I ended up sitting with, which is what I wanted anyways, I'm by the window and he's by the aisle.

I sigh softly, "Ed, you should sleep, we've got a while before we're back"

Ed getting sleepy, shakes his head and mumbles, "mm fine"

I frown, and look out the window.

A few moments later I feel a bump against my shoulder, "huh?"

Ed nearly fell asleep and his head hit my shoulder, Ed sits back up slowly and I grin, "here," I offer him to lay his head in my lap.

Ed looks at me and blushes then mumbles again, "I said mm fine.." why doesn't he want to sleep?

I smile assuringly, "I know, but why don't you just relax and lay your head here? It'll be more comfortable, you don't have to sleep if you don't want to."

Ed blushes deeply, and nods, after a moment he takes Roy up on his offer and lays his head in Roy's lap and is now laying down in their seat, it doesn't take long before Ed closes his eyes and falls asleep.

I smile softly and run my fingers through his hair gently, "there you go.."

Al comes to the area Ed and I are sitting in and sees the scene, he sits across from me and nods, I knew if he had a body he'd be smiling, "thank you mustang, he barely sleeps anymore even when he allows himself a rest..I'm worried about him,"

I look up at Al, "I'll keep him safe, but why doesn't he sleep as much?"

"He has nightmares. More like night terrors really.."

I frown, "oh..how bad are they?"

Al remains silent for a few minutes, "the worst one he's had was a few months ago, he was in a bad mental state at the time, when we were back in Resembool with winry and grandma Pinako..he had one and woke up screaming..he claimed he was fine but when we left him alone..."

My eyes widen, "what happened to him Alphonse?"

Al is hesitant, "I.."

I use my colonel voice, "al I need to know what happened to Fullmetal."

"He tried to take his own life."

My heart drops, "h-he what?"

Al look down at his metal knees, "he broke the glass in the mirror and..well, that's why he's more careful to not take off his red coat anymore..because it'll show his arm"

I frown, "I'll make sure no harm will come to him.." I look down at Ed and droplet of sweat on the side of my forehead, I never knew you were in so much pain Ed..

Ed is breathing softly against my abdomen, sleeping soundly..for now.