Chapter 8

Cybelline glanced at the four boys and nodded. The twins looked at her curiously while the other two ran back inside. Ithos looked at her apologetically, "Ryion and Isthan are a little shy." Cybelline nodded.

One of the twins glared at her, "They're part Havorian. You have a problem with that?" One of the twins, the slightly taller one with blue eyes walked up to her. He stuck his chin out defiantly looking her up and down.

Cybelline shook her head, "Not at all." Her earnestness threw the boy off his anger.

The boy's eyes opened wide, "Oh." He frowned and continued to stare at her.

"Berin." Ithos warned, "We talked about this." He put a large hand on the boy's shoulder, "What did we say about manners."

"Berin has none." The other little boy dimpled, he walked to Cybelline with a sweet smile, "I'm Ceric."

Cybelline shook his hand solemnly, "Cyd."

The boy looked at her curiously, "But that's a boy's name. How come you have a boy's name when you're a girl?"

Cybelline smiled, "How did you know I was a girl?"

Ceric shrugged, "I just do." He grabbed her hand, "Come inside, Momma's waiting."

Ithos coughed, "Go ahead, I..uhh...got to weed the vegetable garden." He looked at the immaculate garden where not a single weed dared to show its presence.

"Ma said that if you stay outside now, you can stay outside for the rest of the week." Berin answered as he followed his twin and Cybelline.

"It looks like rain. We should hurry inside." Ithos said as he looked up at the clear sky and strode to the the two story cottage.

Cybelline walked into the cottage and blinked. For a place with four children, it was incredibly clean and tidy. Grey stone walls with shiny wood floors, rocking chairs with half-finished knitting draped placed neatly on it for later. A cat meowed by the windows as a woman around fifty walked to her with a large plate of food.

Her brown hair was streaked with grey, framing a kind face with merry eyes. She wore a simple blue cotton gown and creamy apron dotted with tiny roses. Even in her fifties, Myrai was a startlingly enchanting woman.

"Here child, come sit." She gestured at Cybelline, "I'll bet yer starved from the road. My husband's cooking is like eatin' dirt. Only dirt's somehow more tasty. I'll bet you're hungering for some really food." She lead Cybelline to a large long table and sat her down, "Now, eat."

Her stomach rumbled at the delicious smell. Cybelline sat down, "Thank you."

Poor thing. Myrai thought as she studied the young child. Half-starved and bone thin, the new child had large grey eyes and black hair that was cut punishingly short.

Myrai smiled and patted Cybelline's head, "Once yer done, I've drawn ye a bath. The boys are cleanin' out the attic fer ye. If ye don't find it comfortable let me know and I'll see if we can switch ye to another room." She tipped more food onto Cybelline's plate, "A boy like ye has plenty of growin' to do, so don't ye dare leave this table without cleanin' the plate.

Ithos looked at the food with longing, he shuffled in, "Wife. I'm hungry too."

Myrai threw him a look, "Then ye should've come back sooner" She huffed, "I thought ye was dead somewhere." Her eyes narrowed dangerously, "What time do ye call this?"

Ithos scratched his head, "I'm sorry." He gave a conciliatory grin, "Mayhap ye forgive me this once?"

Myrai glared at him, "Sorry? That's all ye got to say? I was worried to death that something happened to ye. Ye could've sent word" She sniffed, "If ye'd died I could've gone husband huntin"