Chapter 19

They stared at the pile of ashes in silence until Solara brushed the remainder off the table, "She's volatile. This is more power than I've ever dealt with." She observed, her face a little ashy.

Jinon patted Solara, "You can do it. We just have to get a few more ingredients, that's all."

Solara nodded, deep in thought, "If she had been normal, when she's 16, the Spark will have manifest itself to the world. But this spark..." She looked up at Jinon, "If we try to surpress it normally, I'm afraid it'll back fire. You've seen what happens when magic is forced. I'll need dwarf stones of at least three thousand years old, and the blood of a dragon"

"So I take it that this wasn't normal." Cybelline said and then after a second, "Also, there's dragons? Just what kind of world is this?" 

"There are special mages, rare and highly sought after. They have powers that perhaps can even rival the old First Bloods of the Fae and Folk." Solara said after a moment, ignoring the question about dragons, "The last one who was born, destroyed the entire of Fae." She looked at Jinon, "Their magic is so volatile that they more often than not, when igniting the spark, will die."

"And those who don't may go on to rule half the world." Jinon said. He looked her over, "Your power is hidden well, better than anyone I've ever seen. And the better for it, because should you ever decide to ignite the spark, you can probably destroy half the city with just the awakening of your magic."

"Where can we find the power gems we need?" Jinon wanted to know.

"You'll need Ancient Mage Stones. Ones that only the palace will have, but it will be heavily guarded and near impossible to get into." Solara drew up an image in red light, the tall palace with it's many turrets and red capped towers, was beautiful and foreboding.

Jinon grinned, "Sounds like fun. I---"

He stopped for a minute and frowned. Suddenly he stood up, "Solara, where is your scrying mirror?"

Solara raised her hand and a beautiful mirror rose out of it. Jinon took it, "Speak."

The image of his cat rose out of the mirror, "She has found us. She is coming."

Jinon's eyes widened, he looked at Solara. She sighed, "Go. I will take care of things here."

Jinon nodded, he looked at Cybelline, "I need to go. When things are done, I will come find you."

Cybelline looked from Jinon to Solara, "What's happened?"

But Jinon shook his head, "The less you know, the safer you are." He looked at Solara, "It looks like I was not able to hide as well as i thought."

Solara sighed, "She'll keep coming at you, time and time again. You know that. Only you can end things."

"I should go too." Cybelline stood up, "You're going back to the village aren't you?"

Jinon shook his head, "Nothing I can't handle, and nothing you can help with." He looked into her eyes, "They will be safe, I promise."

Cybelline nodded, "I'm sorry I can't be of any help." She wasn't the assassin who lived in darkness anymore, she didn't have to kill anymore. In losing that, did she also lose the right to protect the people who were kind to her?

Jinon grinned and ruffled her head, "As long as we're around, you don't have to bear that burden."  Solara walked over and placed a hand on her should in comfort.

"We'll have fun. Be safe." Solara kissed his cheek. He nodded and left.

Cybelline watched in silence, Solara turned around, "Where were we?"