Chapter 66

"Bring the Augur and tell him the good news!" Estelle cried, "A new Queen is to be crowned today!"

"No need my child, I'm here already." A man of Ithos's age stepped towards the arena. Where he went, a hush ran through the crowd as they bowed reverentially to the aged man. He was dressed in deep blue edged with white. It was a middle-aged face with a pepper beard and sharp, knowing eyes. He stood proudly above all. And though there were lines on his face, the years had been kind to him. He flowed down the steps, "It is rare for you to lose, my child. A new day is coming to the city."

Estelle only smiled, she grabbed Cybelline's hand and brought her forth to the high platform, "The Augur has been the oldest living entity within these walls. He is the most powerful mage of the city. He will crown you." 

They stood above the crowd, the focal point of the festival. It seemed as if the entire city gazed upon the three. 

The augur smiled benevolently at Cybelline, "Child, while I do not know what happened in the fog, you have been merciful to leave those who insult you alive. I believe you will be a good Queen." He looked at Estelle puzzled, "What is she to be called?"

She looked at Cybelline with a laugh, "You know, in all of this excitement, I don't even know your name."

Cybelline looked at the Augur for a moment longer before replying, "Cybelline."

A servant appeared with a small silver cup, the Augur took it and sipped it. He handed it to Estelle who took a sip. Estelle held it out to Cybelline, "Drink. It's part of the ceremony."

Phillip also had come down the steps and cleared his throat. "Well this is a surprise. Ithos's daughter inheriting the throne"

The Augur's eyes sharpened and the smile on his lips froze.

Cybelline shook her head with a grin, "Thank you, but I'm not thirsty."

Clank. The wine cup clattered to the floor and fell down the steps noisily.

An overeager servant who had not seen the quiet exchange between the speakers lit up in anticipation, the signal, it was time. Or so he thought.

-----

"My lord, the signal has been sighted. The wine cup has fallen ." A servant muttered to Lord Norian, "We are ready." 

Lord Norian smiled, "Mother, your son will make you proud. Tonight we take the City of Thieves and Spies" He gently kissed her fingertips. 

Lady Celia smiled lovingly, "My son, conquer them all. You are the true prince of your father's brood. And soon, you will be King."

Lord Norian smiled, he jumped lightly into the arena and strolled to the center, his hands behind his back.

A guard frowned and ran forward, "My lord, this is the coronation of the new Queen. Please leave the arena."

Lord Norian raised his hand and white light shone, the man stopped instantly. Blood seeped from his eyes and he screamed. Three more guards came and they too were swiftly dispatched

"There will be no new queen. Only a new king." He said with a cruel smile. He looked at Cybelline and called out greedily, "You are strong, but your strength can not match mine and my men. I will have you tonight."

"Who is that?" Cybelline asked Estelle. Estelle frowned, "The bastard son of a powerful king. A lord of Londaros. We have to be careful, he is powerful in a special type of light magic."

Londaros. Why did that name sound so familiar?

Lord Norian looked at the three people on the platform haughtily, "You've all been poisoned with the deadliest brew. I will give you to the count of ten to surrender and kneel."