Chapter 80

The Court of Londaros

The court of londaros was a somber, elegant affair. As one of the oldest kingdoms in existence, the courtly ettiqutte could fill several libraries. Anyone who did not know the rules were ostracized and immediately ordered out of the ruler's presence.

Black damask lined in silver covered the stately halls, the Londarosi King sat on his throne, his black hair slicked back, the high collar reaching his beard. It was an imposing sight, the high dais with the somber king.

"His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Jasreth!" The court steward announced with a stiff bow. The court turned to look at the young prince who entered. There was something different about him, many felt the change in his demeanor.

He stood straighter, his blond hair cut short and swept back on his head to give him a more mature, sharper look. Before, many dismissed the boy as meek and spineless, but the way he carried himself now was much different.

"Father, Mother." The Prince bowed to the King and Queen.

The Queen did not acknowledge the greeting, but the King leaned forward, "You've healed?"

Jasreth nodded, "Through the care of the kind servants my royal mother has sent me." Jasreth did not mention that the servants tried to poison him, nor that they were all dead and buried in his dungeons. It was a game his mother liked to play with him often.

The Queen smiled coolly, "You are, after all, the crown prince and my son. Of course I would care for you."

"Mother, father!" Just then, a voice rang through the hall, and a youth with golden hair and a cherubic face rushed in, his eyes showed real pleasure when he spied his brother, "Brother!"

"You're back! I wanted to visit but mother said you need rest." Garoth, the second son of the King of Londaros threw himself at his brother. The queen's eyes grew colder, "Garoth, decorum." But there was a look of tenderness that was reserved for Garoth that Jasreth had never felt.

The courtiers looked onto Garoth with a smile as he gripped his brother's forearm.

Jasreth swallowed his distaste, smiled, gave his younger brother a hug, "Mother did it all for you, you must understand how she feels."

Garoth only grinned, "Now that you are back, Mother and Father has arranged a gift for you." He lead his older brother to the seats besides the throne.

The king chuckled, "Little Garoth can not keep a secret for the wealth of the world." He looked at his eldest son, "You are eighteen in three weeks, we have decided that you must have a queen and two royal mistresses."

Jasreth inclined his head, "I have heard nothing about this, Your Majesties."

"It is tradition. A Londarosi King must have a queen and two ladies to keep him company in case the Queen can not have children." The Queen said sharply, she glanced down at the king's remaining Mistress, "Your father will replace Lady Celia and choose a new Royal Mistress once the mourning period is over."

She raised a hand, "Bring in the ladies." She smiled, "My son, you must choose."

Three women sauntered into the court and there were whispers of excitement as they curtseyed deeply.

Jasreth stood and bowed deeply, "Apologies, ladies, I will not chose amongst you."

The Queen's smile dropped from her face.

Jasreth sighed, he had hoped that this woman would give him a few weeks of peace, "Mother I've already proposed to someone." He held up his hand and his signet ring was missing, there was an audible gasp in the chamber. The Queen's face drained of color, she pointed a shaking hand at her son, "You dare--"