Chapter 70

Cybelline looked at the man riding beside her. He was one of the best looking men she had ever seen, and if he was any colder, she was sure he could've eradicated global warming on her old world.

Killian, looked over, and Cybelline quickly looked away and kneed her horse into a gallop. Killian wondered if he'd imagined it.

"Do you think my lord is really interested in that woman?" Jacen asked Lord Evan. Their voices were muffled by the wind.

"If I were you, I wouldn't speculate about the personal life of a man who could kill you with two fingers." Lord Evans muttered, then, after a while, he sighed, "I think my lord has no idea about women." His lord's intensity was enough to scare this woman away. And then he would be single forever.

"If only he hadn't refused every maiden, perhaps he would've gained some experience." Jacen pointed out, "The most interaction I've seen him have with one was when that lady snuck herself into his rooms, and he had soldiers throw her out the window."

Lord Evan thought for a moment and sighed, "Gods, why does our lord keep throwing women out of windows?"

Lord Jacen glared at Cybelline's back, "Not that it matters, no woman can resist our lord, even when his face is colder than a block of ice."

"Clearly that lady in front is the exception to the rule. She's resisting him quite well." Lord Evan pointed out.

"But we know nothing about her. What does she have that other women more worthy doesn't have--"

A rock flew towards his head and Jacen hurriedly dodged it. He looked up at disbelief at Lord Killian's back. That was his imagination right? Why did it seem like the rock came from Lord Killian's direction.

Cybelline hadn't heard any of the conversation, she rode ahead, following the small spot of light that was the Augur's scying spell. The Augur had created a spell to point them in the right direction, they had been following it for a while now. The darkness of the night was beginning to lighten as the first hint of light threatened to spill over the land.

They stopped to rest their horses, it had been a hard ride. Jacen walked up to Killian, "My lord, the Fae and the Folk of the Kinloch forest have been on the move. Should we send our people?"

Killian took the note from Jacen, "Send the eastern army." Then he rose to follow Cybelline back onto the road once more.

Soon the Augur's spell wasn't needed, broken trees and blackened grass greeted them. Cybelline held up a hand and the men stopped. "We go on foot."

Killian's men were exceptionally good at following orders, and seeing that their master had no objections, they strung up their horses and followed Cybelline.

Cybelline tracked the fresh footsteps, listening for the telltale signs of other humans as she lead the small team forward.

Killian couldn't help but admire her quick decisive nature. This was a warrior who knew what she was doing.

They arrived at a small hill. A woman, her hair glistening with water droplets sat by the fire looking down at the man whose head was on her lap. She seemed to be lost in thought as her finger traced his brow.

Miri had never touched the face of a man before, this man, though he had given her the first impression that he was frail and sickly, was surprisingly sturdy. She had not expected him to weigh so much when she first dragged him out of the water. She looked guilty at the bruise forming at his temple, she had accidentally bumped his head when she dragged his body to the shore.

"Miri," Cybelline said softly. She patted the girl's freezing cheek, the fire had not dried them completely on this cool night. She gently took her cloak off and settled it into the girl's shoulder.