Chapter 47

Cybelline watched as the drama between the two young people play out. She almost wished she had some popcorn. When she was back in her own body, she was going to have to find Jinon and ask about this Kyria woman.

Thinking of the golden maned man, she sighed. He looked perfectly good as a youth, but now he looked like he swallowed a lion.

She blinked, watching as three years passed, the young captain was now a seasoned warrior, winning battle after battle, war after war. The king piled riches and titles on the youth. Jinon received everything except for the women, he often told the King that he would choose his own wife. The King would only shook his head, "Sybarius, you are like a brother. And being that there is no one else in your family, as your older brother, you should let me help you find a wife." Jinon would only smile and run off to war

Kyria in the meantime, blossomed into a beautiful, learned woman who could philosophize any scholar under the table and beat any warrior into the ground. After her defeat at Jinon's hands, she began to study fighting in earnest. Soon it became evident that no man could best her, and her suitors stopped trying. The gossip around the city was that all the extra grey hair on her father's head was because of her. Kyria had refused all men, and no matter what her family did, she never agreed to any marriage.

They hadn't seen each other for three years, but Jinon would become extremely clumsy when he heard any gossip about the young woman. So much so that his men knew not to gossip about Kyria if the general was holding anything heavy, or on a horse. Nine times out of ten he fumbled and drop whatever he was holding. Many important army missives were accidentally set fire to this way. One time, he had fallen from his horse, to the greatest embarrassment of his troops.

Three years passed this way, until the General returned from the border, the war nearly won. The people received Jinon Sybarius with flowers and song as the young, dashing man rode ahead of the troops in triumph.

"My Lord" An attendant bowed to Jinon, "Lord Torin invites you to his house for a banquet."

Jinon, who had been untangling his blond hair, dropped the comb into the basin of water, and then knocked the basin onto the floor and his foot. He cleared his throat, "Really? Will Lady Kyria be there?"

"Dear god man." A voice said at the door. Jinon looked up to see one of his friends from the army walk in, "If you like the woman, ask her to marry you. For the sake of your safety and the health of our kingdom at least."

Jinon shook his head, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You almost just lost a toe." Was the sarcastic reply. The young man clapped Jinon on the back, "If you don't start acting like a man around her, she's never going to know you exist."

Jinon smiled, "Andras, I'm a commoner, her father would throw me onto the streets." Andras smiled at his young general, "I've heard that she is a proud, intelligent woman, if you let her walk all over you, you're never going to get the girl." 

He shoved a few articles of clothing into Jinon's arms, "Get dressed and find the girl. If you don't the entire army will propose for you. We can't let you fall off any more horses or towers because of her."

Jinon threw a towel at him.

Jinon arrived at the residence with a set of fresh robes. He nodded to courtiers who bowed at him. He knew the circles of court and he knew that he would never belong to them, after all, he was just a lowly commoner who could fight.

"Jinon!" Torin smiled and clapped the general on his back, "Welcome back! We must celebrate your victories."

Jinon smiled, "You are as kind as always, my lord." Torin guffawed, "You know, if I wasn't born a lord I would have be a soldier for all my life. These people bore me." He glanced at all the courtiers who had been gossiping about General Sybarius. They avoided the powerful young lord's glance and moved to the other parts of the house.