Chapter 26

Killian had been carefully observing the interaction between the little page and the young king of Novoria. Despite his eyes being covered, Kieran looked as if he knew the boy. The general continued to stare at the king, "Kieran, do you know this little page?"

"N-No." Kieran answered quickly...a little too quickly. The mark of someone who did not lie often.

Cybelline's heart dropped. Now she really understood the phrase killing with kindness, she wanted to wail, this isn't helping you well-meaning bastard.

Ida looked at Kieran quizzically, "Are you lying?"

"I--"

Before Kieran could destroy her cover into dust particles, Cybelline cleared her throat, "Your majesty. We met on the road a few days ago. Back then I was dressed a little differently, I was with my...servant." She looked deeply into the young king's eyes, "You must have forgotten, right?"

Silver eyes the color of thunderclouds bore into the black fabric on the young king's face. He coughed as a slight blush crept over his pale cheeks, "O-of course."

He looked at Killian, "Cousin, a few days ago I was attacked, this little page's servant saved the captain of my guard." Killian's frown deepened but he said nothing.

Ida poked Kieran's cheeks, "I didn't know you could turn that color."

Kieran caught Ida's finger, "Ida."

Ida stuck out her tongue.

"I don't want to have this conversation again." Ida was about to protest when Killian interrupted, "Did you find what you need?"

Kieran nodded, "The Mages Society has agreed to give me the Ice Crystal. They asked me to wait here. But no one has come."

"I don't think you'll get it tonight." Cybelline pointed out, "Everyone in this palace is now playing hide-and-seek."

Killian looked up and down Kieran with a frown, "Meanwhile, you're playing with your life."

"Cousin." Kieran protested, "It's truly---"

"Enough." Killian said, his eyes flashing, "I'll take you inside the tower. Right now." Gone was the easily angered youth and exasperated noble Cybelline had met, now there was only somber concentration as Killian looked Kieran up and down.

"I can wait." Kieran protested, "Without the Grandmage, it might be difficult to get past the highest level in the tower."

"What do you think I am?" Ida protested, "I'm already an acolyte." No one paid attention to her.

Killian gripped his arm, "Cousin, your veins are turning a different color. You may be able to fool others about your state, but remember who you're talking to."

Kieran looked down, indeed, under his pale skin, his purple veins were lightening, he grinned ruefully, "Cousin, a little sympathy would be nice."

"If you want to die, die in your own country." Killian said as he strode to the tower, "I don't want another war."

"I thought that's all you did nowadays." Kieran said with a smile, "I could last at least another day."

"You're a terrible liar. Even to yourself." Killian replied, he took out a crystal from his belt and pressed it to the giant gates with intricate flowering vines.

Ida looked between the two cousins, "What's going on?"

Kieran shook his head, "Wait for us here."

"When pigs fly!"

"Ida."

"Take her. She'll be of use." Killian beckoned. He looked towards Cybelline, "Are you coming?"