Chapter 79

The City of Light

"My Lady, there have been disturbances in the city of thieves." An acolyte bowed deeply to the Lady of Light. She stood in the open window, her golden hair waving gently in the wind as her perfect hands handled the shears. She trimmed the plants as she listened to the news, "Tell me."

"The bastard duke of Londaros is dead. His mother...has gone insane."

The shears paused in mid-air before continuing, "Killian?" There was a tender, motherly smile on her face as she said that name.

"No, Holy One. It was said that a young woman performed feats of magic that has rarely been achieved. Our spies say that Lord Killian is smitten."

The lady of light put down the delicate gold shears with a gentle clink, "How now? My most cherished warrior has fallen for a mage?" She glide through the room and sat on her marble throne, "Tell me of the girl. What feats did she perform?"

"They say that she defeated Lady Celia, who had stolen the Shadow Bow from the Londaros treasury."

The Lady of Light examined her nails, "I'm not surprised that it took her mind. Not many can handle Shadow Magic and live."

"They say that by saving the lives of the Augur and the Queen of Spies, she was awarded with all the Dwarves and pixies of the land." The attendant went on, "But a great fire wiped out the dwarves and pixies, they said it was a former lord who had gone insane who was the culprit."

"A pity for the girl. But I am glad that Killian has finally find someone he cares for." The Lady of Light only nodded at the news, "Tell me, how did Lord Killian show his affections."

"They say that he is protective of the mage, our spies can not tell much besides their interactions in the city." The acolyte admitted, "The Lord of War says he will talk to you personally when he arrives in a few days."

The Lady stood up with a smile, "How wonderful, tell them to prepare the antirrhinum villa immediately."

She turned to another matter, "Has the blight in the east been cured? And the illnesses?"

The attendant shook his head, "No Lady."

She sighed, "Every year, the crops grow weaker, the wars become longer, and the illnesses become deadlier." The lady of light stood up with a graceful sweep of her skirts. She waved the attendants away.

In her own chambers the Lady of Light took out the purple jeweled necklace, "Come out."

A haze of grey and purple clouds roared out of the necklace and a shadowy figure appeared. It stood, side by side of the queen. The shadow opened its eyes as the fog began to clear. It was as if the shadow was a mirror of the lady of light, down to the last freckle.

The shadow smiled, a cruel and cold smile, "Little Kyria, how are you enjoying the power I've given you?"

Kyria sat on the bed, annoyed, "Do not take my form."

The shadow suddenly reached out, its black claws rotting underneath the grey haze and gripped the Lady of Light's throat, "Do not be so nonchalant."

Kyria only gave a crooked smile, "You can't survive without me, what would you do if you killed me? We are bound by blood and magic."

The shadow figure growled and threw Kyria on the bed. Its form changed once more, "How about now?"

Jinon stared back at her, his face just like the one she used to dream about.

"I'll kill you." Kyria said quietly, the shadow laughed and changed back to the formless being it started as, "You'll die as well."

 It slide next to her form like a poisonous snake, "Tell me, haven't I made you happy. You have everything you wanted. Power, revenge, the death of your enemies."